URGENT electrical help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2009
I have a 78 malibu, and I have no idea what's going on with my wiring.

My radio is out, my interior lights are out, my locks are out, and my HEADLIGHTS are out.

I'm guessing this is not a fuse, plus I didn't see any bad fuses when I checked. What do I need to check?

Other than that, everything is working fine. Although, a few months ago, I had to replace my fusible link, because the entire car went dead.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
check the fusible link and the others around it. see if you have power at the fuses and continuity to the loads.

Gregc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2009
There is no power to the CTSY CLK fuse or to the BACK LAMPS fuse. What do I need to check now, or do from here?

From what I read in the owner's manual, the headlights aren't even on the fusebox. It says they are on a circuit breaker at the light switch. So, I'm stumped as to why they won't work right now.

The only thing I could find that even connects the headlights to the interior lights is this diagram for a 78 camaro:
camarocourtesylight.jpg

Everything in the diagram is not working in my car...

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
The owner's manual is not going to tell you much of anything. I believe (could be wrong here) that the circuit breaker is on the fuse panel, not the headlight switch. If you're not getting power to those fuses, you may want to check the connections going from the fuse panel to the battery. The starter is one connection point (fusible links), I also think there's a connection on the firewall somewhere. And the ignition switch may be another point. The best way to know for sure is to get a repair manual and check out the diagrams. Maybe someone on the site will have one or know of a site where to find one. Without it, you're just going to have to work your way back through the wiring.

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal
last time this happen to me it was the dash cluster fuse double check it make sure everything is good

Aaron88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
Indpls, IN
I had the same problen in a caprice about a year back, it ended up being the power at the headlight switch I just needed to fix the wire and put in a fusible link. The odds are likely yours is the same problem since that controls all of your issues check there. Easy fix if its your problem. Hope this helps.

Gregc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2009
Thanks for the help. I'm going to check all of this out tomorrow when the sun is out again. I'll let y'all know what I find.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
its the fusible link before the main power (red) + headlight power (red) going into your fuse box from the engine bay, they will V off sometime after the fusible link

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor