Using 2 in-line fuel filters...Need some advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Getting ready to upgrade to braided hoses and start using 2 filters. I have read that using a 100 micron before the pump and at least a 40 micron before the carb is the norm.

I currently have a 35 bronze element filter between my mechanical pump and carb. Said filter has the hose fittings, so I will be getting a different filter with AN fittings when I upgrade. I am going to replace the rubber hose that connects the hard lines from the tank to the frame and will be inserting filter #1 here. Would there be any problems/flow restrictions by using the smaller 35 micron filter I already have instead of spending more money on a bigger filter?

Also, just for the sake of looks I am considering mounting filter #2 before the pump. I do not have a return line and my Holley carb also has small bronze elements, so I don't see any difference in putting the filter before or after the pump. Am I thinking correctly about this?

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Are you keeping the mechanical pump?

I think the adage "suck stainless, push paper" refer to electronic fuel pumps. Elec pumps don't pull as well as they push, so screen before and fine element after. The paper ones can disintegrate and the paper can jam the elec pump.

A lot of people throw away those sintered bronze filters inside the Holley carbs.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
LS1GN said:
Are you keeping the mechanical pump?

I think the adage "suck stainless, push paper" refer to electronic fuel pumps. Elec pumps don't pull as well as they push, so screen before and fine element after. The paper ones can disintegrate and the paper can jam the elec pump.

A lot of people throw away those sintered bronze filters inside the Holley carbs.

Yes, I'm keeping the mechanical pump. And by stating a "bigger" filter above what I meant was a filter with a "coarser" element. 100 microns would remove a lot of crud and not restrict flow and a finer element (40, 35, 10um) will remove all the leftover smaller stuff right before entering the carb, it makes sense. I just don't want to fork out more money if it's not neccassary.

Earls has a filter similar to the JAZ one I have. I couldn't find any info on JAZ's site, but Holley states theirs flows-4-5 gph. Which seems like it would be restricting flow if I used it just after the tank.

Why do people throw out those little bronze filters?

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I guess we throw them out because it is just another restriction, overkill if you have two other filters. I used to work at a gas station, and each of the pumps had a filter too.

The mechanical pumps seem like they pull harder so maybe you'd be okay with one before the pump.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
Never really thought about the push/pull factor of the fuel pump. With that said, I'll be putting the second filter after the pump. So back to my first question, will a 35 micron filter cause problems with restricting fuel flow or possibly overwork the pump to the point of premature failure?

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am running a Paxton 300 electric pump and the filter between the fuel cell and the pump is also a Paxton with a 10 micron paper filter rated at up to 1500 horsepower and this is the only filter feeding my Quickfuel 1150 on my 565BBC and I have never experienced any restriction issues or other problems in the 12 years it has been on my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor