V6 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Racing or not? If racing, forget about it. It's a major rebuild. Otherwise....

Which turbo, carburetor or SFI? Intercooled or not?

Factory stock or not? If factory stock, the '86-'87 intercooled SFI version might be a bit much, but anything earlier has no more power than a late model non-turbo 3800. '84-'85 is 200 hp, going down as you work back through years. So any '85 or earlier factory setup is unlikely to stress the non-turbo "VIN A" long block. What you are hearing assumes mods for more power and a lot of flat-out racing.

The only internal differences are in the crank (rolled fillet rod journals for turbo) and pistons. People have used the non-turbo crank in racing applications with no issues. Nobody uses any factory piston, turbo or non-turbo, in a racing application. Differences between the pistons are more complicated to explain, but unless you want to race I don't think even the pistons would be an issue. Aftermarket forged pistons would bring cheap peace of mind, especially with a bigger aftermarket turbo.

The turbo used a higher-pressure spring in the oil pump, which is easy to install. They used the same valve springs, so it's just a question of are they worn out.

OOPS, I forgot, last edit I swear: What year is the non-turbo motor you have? It does make a difference on some questions.

Another last edit: Everything in this post ASSUMES you have the 3.8L Buick V6. There was also the 3.8L Chevy V6, which has nothing in common whatsoever with the Buick except owners who want more.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, supercharged Series 2s are a dime a dozen, and cheap to rebuild. Bolts right up (sort of), pull the blower, drop on an n/a intake, and plumb it for a hairdryer. Piece of cake!

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Put a Buick 350 in it. Bolts right in, blocks can handle 800-1000hp with boost. Bottom ends can handle 700 in stock well kept condition. :p

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Well, supercharged Series 2s are a dime a dozen, and cheap to rebuild. Bolts right up (sort of), pull the blower, drop on an n/a intake, and plumb it for a hairdryer. Piece of cake!

If swapping, why swap another V6?

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
To be different. Some of you guys don't get the concept;its cool, though. :whistle:

Yeah, that's true. I do get the concept. Here in California you have to explore a lot of concepts. :mrgreen:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor