Twin turbo ls overheating issue

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
can't fu*k with that👆
yea, couple good options were given. im going to look into the vents and possibly why i cant get air out of the engine bay. i do have a 2" cowl hood but we did need to cut a chunk in it to make the intake/throttle body fit.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Late to the party here, but just some stuff I ran into in the past. I went with a cheaper 4 row aluminum radiator that came with cheap fans. Installed it into my Cutlass with an Olds big block and never could get it to cool. swapped the fans with Spahl fans and it improved but wasnt great. When the big block took a crap on me due to not being thoroughly cleaned by the engine builder, I ended up LS swapping the car and also changing to a Champion dual row with 1" tubes and I have had zero overheating issues with the new rad and the spahl fans with a shroud. may not work for everyone, but it worked out great in the end for me.

Reactions: 2 users

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Late to the party here, but just some stuff I ran into in the past. I went with a cheaper 4 row aluminum radiator that came with cheap fans. Installed it into my Cutlass with an Olds big block and never could get it to cool. swapped the fans with Spahl fans and it improved but wasnt great. When the big block took a crap on me due to not being thoroughly cleaned by the engine builder, I ended up LS swapping the car and also changing to a Champion dual row with 1" tubes and I have had zero overheating issues with the new rad and the spahl fans with a shroud. may not work for everyone, but it worked out great in the end for me.
Better late than never. Radiator is a new dual core griffin. Biggest I could fit without custom building an entirely new core support. There’s a lot of heat soak in my engine bay. The vents that were suggested are likely going to be used . But I need to see where they can be placed that water won’t mess me up

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Are you running stock pulley sizes that were used with the water pump that is on the car? Wanting to make sure that you don’t have a mismatching crank and water pump pulley.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I agree, I have been amazed with the new motor I have and how it cool it has run in the 95 and up days I have had it out. Really haven't seen it go over 180 once the slow setting of the fans start up, it is nice to have a dual speed but never have had to really run them like that

Reactions: 1 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I agree, I have been amazed with the new motor I have and how it cool it has run in the 95 and up days I have had it out. Really haven't seen it go over 180 once the slow setting of the fans start up, it is nice to have a dual speed but never have had to really run them like that
Highest temp i've seen is 187. I have one set to come on at 175 and the other at 185.

Reactions: 1 users

johnnunez29

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2022
Are you running stock pulley sizes that were used with the water pump that is on the car? Wanting to make sure that you don’t have a mismatching crank and water pump pulley.
I’m running the Holley mid mount pulley system. Comes with everything from water pump to ac compressor. 🤷🏼‍♂️

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What model car?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor