VACUUM ADVANCE ???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As was suggested. For a street driven car you're much better off having a vacuum advance distributor. If you're unable to add a vacuum canister to the distributor you have, sell it and buy one with vacuum advance.

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
As an old schooler, I recall my distributors with both vacuum AND centrifugal advance. Thus far, no mention of centrifugal advance. Has that advance feature been eliminated and replaced with newer technology in HEI with vacuum advance?

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
The computer controlled & EST equipped engines generally use distributors with out a vacuum advance.
Because they have the equivalent to vacuum advance built into the firmware of the ECM.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
As an old schooler, I recall my distributors with both vacuum AND centrifugal advance. Thus far, no mention of centrifugal advance. Has that advance feature been eliminated and replaced with newer technology in HEI with vacuum advance?
The HEI dizzy uses vacuum and centrifugal (flying weights) advance. The dizzy that the OP has doesn't have a vacuum cannister - it could've been built that way as an aftermarket giddyup or someone locked it out. Tough to tell without seeing it.

Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Is the distributor capable of accepting vac advance?? If you install one get an adjustable canister to dial in your needs.

ACCEL HEI Adjustable Vacuum Advance Canisters 31035​

I picked up 40% more mileage out of my big block just by installing one of these and adjusting it over the course of a week.

Of course, I was only getting 10mpgs to begin with... but 4mpgs is very acceptable for a 40 dollar part

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor