Valve float?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2017
So, quick update: we swapped in a TH350 with a 2000-ish converter, power steering to manual conversion, HEI distributor, rebuilt 1406 Edelbrock carb with electric choke, headers and dual exhaust, ditched the cruise control and A/C so no more computer. Otherwise it’s a stock 307 1986 Regal. Actually ran pretty good! Next,we swapped in a set of 373 gears into the stock 7.5 rear end. Boy howdy, did that wake up the old girl! Does a one wheel peel like crazy! However, the RPM’s come up really quick and first gear is almost non-existent. I have not gotten a tach installed yet (I know...). My question: in high gear at a steady RPM the engine has a “flutter”. Could this be valve float?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
It almost sounds like an intermittent miss or other ignition system issue. I would give it a basic tune-up (cap, rotor, wires, plugs) and make sure the vacuum and mechanical advance assembly's are moving freely and are not excessively worn.

Also, did you switch to a non-computer distributor? It will run with the CCC distributor but not that well.

Pappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2017
Yes, we used a non-computer distributor. I will try the basic tune-up you suggest and maybe get a tach hooked up. I’m also wondering if I should swap on a known-to-be-good carb in place of the rebuilt one we installed just to eliminate that variable.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
Only one way to tell other then driving the car is to pull the valve cover and take a look at the valve tip if the contact mark is across the tip it’s not floating the valve if it looks like a star it’s floating valves the valve will spin or turn when floating

Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Eliminating variables is a good thing if you can. I would definitely try the tune-up first and see where that takes you, but a carb issue isn't beyond the realm of possibility either. If you were to guess, what RPM range do you think it is fluttering at?

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
If this is cruising in high gear and you hear it its not valve float. IF its on the floor at top speed then maybe.

• Agree

Pappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2017
Only one way to tell other then driving the car is to pull the valve cover and take a look at the valve tip if the contact mark is across the tip it’s not floating the valve if it looks like a star it’s floating valves the valve will spin or turn when floating
cool! I did not know this. I’ll try to look at this. Thanks.

Pappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2017
Eliminating variables is a good thing if you can. I would definitely try the tune-up first and see where that takes you, but a carb issue isn't beyond the realm of possibility either. If you were to guess, what RPM range do you think it is fluttering at?
3500 - 4000 RPMs if I had to guess.

Pappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2017
If this is cruising in high gear and you hear it its not valve float. IF its on the floor at top speed then maybe.
Yes, cruising in high gear at a steady speed. The speedometer is not hooked up so I can’t calculate the RPMs. Can’t hear it at WOT because of the glass packs!

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I have always heard stories about the module in the distributor breaking up at that rpm range. Maybe slap a new module in? If you're floating the valves, it'll happen in all the gears at higher rpm. An Olds 307 probably tops out at 5000, anyway. It should even be felt with the Butt Dyno; it just stops pulling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor