Valve float?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It's detonating, pinging, spark knocking or whatever you want to call it. Limit your vacuum advance 4-5 degrees and I bet it's gone.

Valve float it is not.

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Only one way to tell other then driving the car is to pull the valve cover and take a look at the valve tip if the contact mark is across the tip it’s not floating the valve if it looks like a star it’s floating valves the valve will spin or turn when floating

I'm not sure you'll see this on an engine without a roller tip rocker. The roller will have a narrow pattern that will look like a star. Stock rockers will scrub the top of the valve. You may be right, I just can't say I've ever seen it without a roller.

Pappy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2017
It's detonating, pinging, spark knocking or whatever you want to call it. Limit your vacuum advance 4-5 degrees and I bet it's gone.

Valve float it is not.
These are all good suggestions that I will look at when I am able. Glad to know it isn’t valve float. The other things are much easier to cure! Thanks, all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor