Valve train help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuttysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2016
I recently did a compression test and and found almost none in cylinder number one. I pulled the valve cover and found a push rod punched through the rocker. When i went to fix that i figured I'd glance at the lifter, and it didn't look right nor did the new push rod sit right. I pulled the intake and that lifter had come apart leaving small parts in the valley. It's a 403 that i rebuilt about 10 years ago. Wondering if anyone had any experience with this or knew what could cause it. Thanks

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
As the rocker was failing clearances became excessive and the push rod beat up the lifter and it came apart - It had to give you some warning.

CuttysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2016
The car is loud, if there was a warning, I didn't hear it. My bad. Can i replace one lifter or should I buy a new kit?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
How does the bottom of the lifter look? How does that cam lobe look? If the bottom of the lifter and the cam lobe look good then you should be ok just replacing one lifter and the bad rocker, and perhaps that pushrod, unless if it looks fine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CuttysRevenge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2016
It all looks ok, the problem is that i bought the cam and lifters so long ago i don't really remember what kind they are. I think they are comp cams set. Do i have to get a comp replacement lifter? Thanks for the help, by the way.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If it was mine I would want the lifter to be a match but the question is, does someone lice Comp or Crane sell just one lifter? Is this a flat tappet?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Dito Tex - you should be fine. Make sure the lifter bore wasn't damaged and the new lifter rotates in the bore.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor