Video of engine knock. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havn't listened to the video. but, I just pulled my sons fresh 350 for a rocker knock. It was faint, but there. The sound was limited to the 1-3 cyls listening at the valve cover. Moved down to 5-7 could'nt here it. Couldn't hear it on the other side either. No marks on heads, or pistons, no discoloring on rods. Put it back together with roller tips/no noise. The mistake on my part was to use larger diameter lock nuts on full rollers. (because the set that came with it, was 1 short) The 1-3 rockers had some unusual marks on them too. At least that was what happened to us. :|

if a rod is knocking and you remove the spark plug wire the knock should go away or become alot quieter. Try removing each plug wire one at a time and if the knock changes that's the rod that's doing it

My vote is either torque converter bolts....or a stuck valve/lifter

pontiacgp said:
if a rod is knocking and you remove the spark plug wire the knock should go away or become alot quieter. Try removing each plug wire one at a time and if the knock changes that's the rod that's doing it
Be ready to have your a$$ Zapped too btw if you aint careful :rofl: im still leaning towards the rockers tho.

X2 on the torque converter bolts.But don't forget a cracked flexplate around the crank bolts.

bill said:
My vote is either torque converter bolts....or a stuck valve/lifter

The noise is deff in the top end. The sound is too slow to be in the bottom end. The cam and crank is a 2:1 Ratio. The crank turns faster than the cam. Hence the noise sounding slow. Which would mean top end noise. My bet is a cam bearing, beacuse the noise goes away when u increase the load on the engine. The load from the valve train becomes greater with RPM plus oil pressure increses filling the void between the cam and bearing. Good luck man. Hope ya get her fixed soon.

my86442 said:
pontiacgp said:
Be ready to have your a$$ Zapped too btw if you aint careful :rofl: im still leaning towards the rockers tho.

hehe yeah I caught a spark or two with my hand when I was diagnosing mine...it will make you jump

I had a Knock or you can call it a tap on my Pontiac 400.
I chased it for awhile checking and changing parts until I checked the cam lobes and One had ground down.
I believe it was due to the the Oil the sell these days.
The Zinc levels have been reduced and thats not good for Flat Tapped Cam Engines.
I put a new Summit cam and Lifters in and she prrrrrrr... like a kitten but when I step on it she roars like a lion.
Id check the Cam Lobes

Could having too much carb make it knock like that? I just got thinking. I have an old video on YouTube of when we first put the engine in. And I don't hear the knocking when i had a 650 carb. Now i have a Holley 3310. Could also be because the car was open headers at the time but im not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor