Vinyl Top Delete 87 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

REGAL8r

Apprentice
May 7, 2017
Hardtop conversion--'1/4 windows,and rear reveal mouldings---375.00 SHIPPED.pm me if interested.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Alright, here is the quick and dirty. To switch to a hardtop you'll need hardtop quarter windows. I learned the hard way when I shattered one of the vinyl top windows on mine during teardown. You'll also need the rear window trim which is 5 pieces, along with the screw studs 565 linked already. Then the trunk filler panel rivets need to be ground down, and you'll need 8 of the clips in the pic below.
I had to do a whole roof skin swap due to rust on the rear roof area. My car was originally a hardtop so it already had the trim under the vinyl. We cut the old roof at the lead joint, melted it out, then grafted the skin from a donor 87 onto the structure. Here are a few pics I just snapped. Let me know if you need more. View attachment 127825 View attachment 127826 View attachment 127827 View attachment 127828 View attachment 127829
Looks really good. How in the hell did you shatter the window removing the top? My top came off easy and only small gaps to fill so I did and left the vinyl top windows in. Sucks that new seals aren't available, the majority of cars have vinyl tops from what have seen up here.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Looks really good. How in the hell did you shatter the window removing the top? My top came off easy and only small gaps to fill so I did and left the vinyl top windows in. Sucks that new seals aren't available, the majority of cars have vinyl tops from what have seen up here.
I shattered one of the quarter windows trying to remove it. I thought all 5 nuts were off, but missed one...start pulling and prying to break the butyl free and bam!

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Also, whoever did the vinyl top install swapped the hardtop windows for the vinyl so it was a blessing in disguise. The car I got thr hardtop windows from also donated the roof skin.

Reactions: 3 users

87Cuts

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2019
Los Angeles
Ok so this might be a stupid question but why aren’t the 1/4 windows compatible? From vinyl to HT? That I need them, I need them sure, I don’t mind that, but I’m just trying to understand what’s up with the window differences.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Ok so this might be a stupid question but why aren’t the 1/4 windows compatible? From vinyl to HT? That I need them, I need them sure, I don’t mind that, but I’m just trying to understand what’s up with the window differences.
The way the outer seal sits on the window is different. Once you pull the vinyl look at the seals vs a hardtop window.

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
The way the outer seal sits on the window is different. Once you pull the vinyl look at the seals vs a hardtop window.
Its like 1/4 inch on the window surrounds. If your window holes in the 1/4 panel are tight you might not need the HT windows. A guy could build up the metal and smooth it nice to avoid it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor