vinyl top to hard top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascates

Apprentice
Jun 11, 2011
Boiling Springs, NC
I recently removed my vinyl top off my 84 cutlass and discovered a huge rust crack stretching the whole width of the roof. I know I will have to fix it, but then I started looking at how the vinyl top was attached. I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert to a regular hard top?

hp3445

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Southern New Jersey
Well you gotta fix the crack first.. right?
I took the vinyl top off of mine and it was in pretty decent shape. careful with the grinder when removing the little mounting nubs.. just enough to run them smooth.. don't press too hard. I used a metal filler in the seem after that I used a finishing coat of body filler. if you can't fix the rust, you gotta replace the portion that is rusted, rotted or cracked. I did it, but once again my base was pretty decent shape.. Those vinyl tops just love to soak up all those years of moisture.. I think the side windows are the same, but I had a set from a regular top, and they looked a little differnt.. so I used them. The rear finish moulding is trashed.. you will have to get it from a regular hard top.
When doing this job, remember to take your time with the finishing work, it is what you will see when getting in and out of the car, It's right at eye level.. good luck..

Mathematic

Greasemonkey
Aug 19, 2009
thanks. i was just about to make this same thread...im debating if i want to convert or not..im alil nervous to what i might find under there..

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
hp3445 said:
careful with the grinder when removing the little mounting nubs.. just enough to run them smooth.. don't press too hard...

Do not use a grinder... There is no need.

Just grab them with a vise-grip and twist them off.
Then just a quick pass with the grinder to clean off the remnants.
No unnecessary heat or potential warping of the panel.

ascates

Apprentice
Jun 11, 2011
Boiling Springs, NC
Can the seals and trim be easily found and purchased? I was just wondering the difference in cost between getting the top recovered and converting to a hard top.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
im intending on doing the same thing, just prepping the left & right side of the car before i go attempting to rip it off, info on rear windows and trim would be muchly appreciated

cutty651

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2011
Minnesota
i recently did my 81 cutlass and it was pretty easy i had to get different side windows and chrome rear window trim luckly i had a hardtop parts cutlass allready so everything i needed i had sucked peeling all that glue off but no rust or scratches underneth everything so i lucked out their but i was wondering what to use to hold the clips back in on the side and top of the rear window for the chrome trim the bottom went right in cause i took the trunk lid filler off the other cutlass butt the side dont have the rivets so what do you glue them in or what anyone know please help i posted a article like this but no answer. by the way parts needed to convert to hardtop is rear window trim side windows cause the rubber casing around the window is different and trunk lid filler that is under rear window behind trunk all parts can be got off any 81-87 hardtop cutlass.

lesbaldridge

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2012
im going to do this to my 1980 cutty as well. the vinyl top was already removed when i got it ( bought it as an unfinished project ) does anyone know if the trunk filler panel needs to be changed out on the 78-80 models when doing this conversion , i know it does for the 81 and up models so im assuming its the same for the earlier ones. does anyone have any of the trim pieces etc... from a hardtop laying around they want to part with ? if so hit me up and im sure we can work something out.

Reegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
I plan on doing this to, but im still going through my stages. idk if i wanna rip it off or if its even worth doing so. just scared of what i might find under there. i will most likely finish my engine swap before i even worry about that. I mean, it was my first car, so i wasnt realy worried about it at the time. i guess i know better now :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor