voltage light problem, need help again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ok so i have the 83 regal, i drive alot of highway eevr sinse i bought it its been giving me problem after problem, id assume the car sitting for awhile and then driving it 45 minuetes highway was enough to wear the parts out the went. so the problem im still having and its worse now is the volts dummy light is always on ver faintly while the cars on no matter what, but when your driving it, it comes on full brightness along with the oil/choke dummy light? i have to cruise 100kph but if i hold the pedel the light comes on and stay on if i speed up it goes back to faintly on or if i let off the pedel same thing, dies to faint? what the hell is going on? i cleaned all the conections for the battery/alt. so is my alternator going? battery shot( its new) i have no idea..and its becoming worse the mor i drive now. thanks

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
i wish i could give you the quick fix on this problem,but at my age there ain't nothing quick :( i've seen this problem before while i was still working on cars. one of the things that comes to mind is the choke coil may be burnt out, or not working for some reason...check for power at the coil and go from there,i've found over the years that an electrical problem will some times be two problems,one covering the other so you get drawn in the wrong direction. it seems that you may have a feed back problem with the alt light because of the choke problem..i've been thinking about your problem and figure out the harness to the choke oil lamp and can't be a 100% sure but i think it starts at the fuse panel and goes to the oil pressure switch and then to the choke so you have to check the path of flow. maybe the chiltons has a diagram that will show you the path so you won't have to guess ... i hope this gives you some help, let me know what you find...jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor