vortec 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i was looking at engine kits and i noticed that the vortec engine kits were a lot more expensive then a normal sbc 350 kit. is there something different that i dont know about?? besides gaskets and the way the intake and valve covers bolt on and the roller cam is there any difference in internals?? can i still use normal 350 pistons?? i noticed a difference on the timing cover as well, can i use a normal after market cover, the stock is plastic?? it all seems the same to me and i assume it is but i dont want to order the wrong stuff.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
can you post links to the engine kits?

what year is the block? is it an ls based block or a gen 1?

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
block is a 97 that is out of a 98 stingray boat. i will do a search on ebay tonight for the link to the kit. it is the same block as a 98 chevy truck

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, are you talking about a rebuild kit or some kind of engine assembly? The Vortec heads physically bolt to a traditional SBC with no modifications, but do require guided tip rockers to work properly. They also need center bolt valve covers and the unique manifold gasket. Factory Vortec engines are also all roller-cam and one piece seal cranks. The intake and rockers are more expensive than the traditional style as there is a smaller market for them. The heads also require modification if they are to be used with any kind of cam with decent lift numbers as the stock springs can't support over .450 lift.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i know all of that, i guess my question is on pistons, iming chain, all seems the same to me???...... on the rockers, that brings up a question, can i re use my old roller rockers on the vortec heads??

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
only if they are self aligning rockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor