Vortec or non vortec 4.3??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
^^^All true.^^
If you have access to a lathe you can machine the input shaft splines back about 5/8" and trim the end off. You don't have to disassemble the transmission to remove it either. Just remove the front bearing retainer and slide it forward. I measured mine against a Muncie I had and made them match. The throwout collar got shortened too but I can't say if it was necessary. I just made it match the Muncie to be sure. Also note that the spline count is different. I think it's 17 IIRC. Another note; the '93-up should be a WC where as all the older ones are non-WC.
Not pretty, but functional and cheaper than a spacer.
005-23.jpg

The shifter location on the S10 is forward of the stock Saginaw shifter and is centered. This is where it comes out on a '64 El Camino. The stock S10 shifter has since been replaced with a short-throw Hurst with adjustable stops:
002-47.jpg

By using the V8 Fbody T-5 you will be very close to a bench seat and might have to get creative with the shifter. When I put one in my Rambler years ago I had to bend a tight S-curve forward to get it into 2-4-R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor