vortecs seem to be popular again......

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
yes, yet another vortec question, but this time may be a little bit of a twist, maybe not...

it seems that everyone that isn't doing an LS swap, is doing the carb'ed vortec swap (was done on my GP when I got it...), but for the Regal I was thinking just the opposite.

Let's start from the top:
what I've got is a '64 vintage 327 block that's .040 over, '67 GMC (IIRC) forged crank, comp cam xe262 and upgraded springs in a pair of 062 vortec heads. I really don't have much run time in the motor being that it's been a project car for a looong time, and have recently started pondering the feasability of running the vortec FI system (ecm and all)...

does anyone in here have something even remotely similar in any vehicle? if so, are there any issues that you ran into on setup or in the tuning? a friend of mine is close friends with a local tuner with a dyno, so the ecm would be flashed the right way, I'm just trying to make sure the way to the tune is smooth...

any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated !

Darin

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
I like it! The access to the tuning is definitely nice if you can swing the FI.

Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
it's not set in stone yet, so plans may change with the $ in my pocket... :D

it is something we haven't seen alot of, and I like the oddball stuff!

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
The 327 with a .040 bore is still only 333CI motor. For less money then you will have in the 327 you can get a Large journal crank if the 327 is a large journal block and make a 357 motor. One thing I did last spring was to take a 880 vortec hyd. roller block that has a spun rod bearing and put a 3.75 stroker kit in it. These kits can be had for around $800 and come balanced with free shipping off ebay in standard bore. This will make 377CI motor for very little money. Reuse the vortec heads and roller cam set up or upgrade to something like a Comp EX270 hyd. roller cam or a copy. I did one last spring and put it in a 81 cuddy with a th350 and a 3.42 gear and it ran 12.51 at 109 with good air. Their is a guy regrinding the hyd. roller cams on ebay for around $150. with shipping. Clean hone and install cam bearing and a cam and stroker kit should only set you back under $1000. I have done 4 of these stroker motor since last spring and all are very impressive for the money spent. I am not sure if a the stock FI could keep up the stroker motor it could if you were only leaving the block at 350 inches.

Last edited:
  • Informative

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The largest issue with the stock Vortec is the spider/fuel system. That's the reason for the vast array of aftermarket carb intakes. If I was in your shoes, then I'd look into some form of aftermarket FI or using a carb with a different intake. FItech has a system out for about $600 that is getting a lot of good press presently.

Do you have pistons and are you planning on using a roller or FT cam?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Yav, the car is just going to be used for cruising, I don't really do the 1/4 mile, it's just not me... the car will be set up more for handling and cruises, so I don't need alot of grunt to it, so the estimated 370 flywheel hp that my buddis desktop dyno put it at will be more than enough...

64, I'm running flat tappets in it since theere's no provisions for the rollers ( I know there's upgradeable stuff, but the money could go to other uses since the cam barely has run-in time on it ). I do have the same pistons in it that was in it when I got the motor, forged trw's...

I will look into the FItech setup though, you perked my interest with the price, I would love to go with a FAST or equivalent setup, but can't justify the cost to myself when there's a proven system I can pick a complete vehicle up for cheaper, and have something that most have overlooked...

*looked at Fi tech's website, and the cheapest they have is just under a grand for their 600hp setup... they DO have a neat fuel pump setup that would eliminate alot of headaches for setting up a high pressure pump. Thanks for the heads up on the site!
http://fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-GoEFISystemFuelCommandCenter

Last edited:

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
the vortec injection system was not a well designed system.all of the fuel system is biuld inside of the 2 piece intake. the earlier vortecs before 2003 did not have an actual injector .they used poppets/check valves at each cylinder port which always clogged or got stuck and gave horrible running issues. gm came out with an updated spider setup that used integrated injectors to solve this. this system also uses a mass air flow sensor before the throttle body. when it all works it is an ok system. when it does not it can be a pain to work with.tuning for the system is also limited due to the lack of support for it. so it is not that people over look it ,it is just a pretty user unfriedly system for performance use

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I'd probably go for a self leaning EFI instead of a factory type deal. I mean by the time you pay someone to tune it, could the price even out? I'd assume so.

• Agree

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
def things to consider... did know about the poppet type valves, and the plastic upper manifold being prone to cracking... also cost like kwikcutty said..... good points, will take into the equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor