Want some opinions on fixing doors and Windows; pictures inside

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
As stated, power windows have no spring on the regulator. Manual windows do, as it's right on the backside of the gear assembly, but as long as you don't try to take the gear assembly apart, you'll be ok. In the pic below, you can see the spring shown on the back side. You'll need to remove your door panel most likely to see it, but you're more likely to be able to do a reacharound on it and feel to see if it's there, or if it's broken, or whatever. If your window crank spins around when your window drops, it's likely the spring broken/missing. If it doesn't, then it's probably some broken linkage or tooth engagement issue where the assembly is so wobbly that it just jumps teeth and essentially falls. Or a combination of both.

Power windows have been around for ages. It's just that people weren't as lazy back in the 60s/70s and the price of the option itself was kind of cost prohibitive (in relation to the times) on many cars. When the A/G-bodies came out, it was akin to spending about $900 in today's dollars for power side windows alone. By 1986, they were almost half that, while it cost you about 1.5 times more for the car itself, so it became more practical. I think the economy mindset was different back then, as what was considered "luxury" items weren't ordered. But all throughout the 10-year G-body run, power side windows were always an option.

Anecdotally, In my early days, if you had a 68 442, and it had power windows in it, it was a car for "pu$$ies". People forget that zillions of cars built in the 60s and 70s were no-frills, A to B vehicles people just drove as the family car. Power windows were at home in Caddys, Electra 225s, Lincolns, and 98s. Today, you can get power all sorts of stuff standard even on entry level models.
That picture is sooooo helpful.
I'm going to dig around and see if I can find or feel a spring.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Also, while you're doing that, maybe consider pulling the other door panel if your mechanism is good and compare good to what you have via mirror image of what's installed. Maybe that might pinpoint the trouble area.

Reactions: 2 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Also, while you're doing that, maybe consider pulling the other door panel if your mechanism is good and compare good to what you have via mirror image of what's installed. Maybe that might pinpoint the trouble area.
You really should write for a classic car magazine. That long post about the history of manual versus automatic is backpage of a hotrod magazine material.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Edit:
I found it!!!! Not the spring but the lack of spring. This is where it's supposed to have a spring right????

Now can I use one from a C3 corvette? They look the same to me. Can't find this spring anywhere for sale.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Might have missed it, but is the landing tab still there on yours that actually has a place for the spring to catch on the end of it? If it's there, yeah, pretty much all the manual regulator springs are the same. Unfortunately, I don't know any GM part number for it as it usually wasn't a "service" part. It may have been some time in the past, but not on G-body. There seems to be a bunch of them for Corvettes out there. But they appear to be the same.

Reactions: 1 user

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Might have missed it, but is the landing tab still there on yours that actually has a place for the spring to catch on the end of it? If it's there, yeah, pretty much all the manual regulator springs are the same. Unfortunately, I don't know any GM part number for it as it usually wasn't a "service" part. It may have been some time in the past, but not on G-body. There seems to be a bunch of them for Corvettes out there. But they appear to be the same.
Yes the tab is still there! :) I just need a new spring.
Trying to find a video of how to install the spring.
There a lot of options online it seems, none specifically listed for our GBodys.

Used one from corvette is $22 bucks, new one for a Chevy truck is $10 bucks. Not sure which is closer so I'm staring at them deciding which one to get.

Attachments

• 084198AD-8C29-426B-80B5-8FE4ADE0C125.png
    084198AD-8C29-426B-80B5-8FE4ADE0C125.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 87678B6E-BA88-49C9-829D-3373EF833117.jpeg
    87678B6E-BA88-49C9-829D-3373EF833117.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 66

JerRol79ElCam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2018
It's not a window issue! I just fixed the same issue on my '78 Monte Carlo. You need to replace your door hinge bushings (both upper and lower) or replace the hinges. Either way, you'll probably have to remove the fender to do it. I bought new hinges from Summit for about $50 each. My door shuts and the window seals like a new car.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's not a window issue! I just fixed the same issue on my '78 Monte Carlo. You need to replace your door hinge bushings (both upper and lower) or replace the hinges. Either way, you'll probably have to remove the fender to do it. I bought new hinges from Summit for about $50 each. My door shuts and the window seals like a new car.
He's got two issues at the same time.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

IamMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2021
There a lot of options online it seems, none specifically listed for our GBodys.

Used one from corvette is $22 bucks, new one for a Chevy truck is $10 bucks. Not sure which is closer so I'm staring at them deciding which one to get.

Did the spring fix your problem? If so can you share where you purchased the spring. My driver window needs a spring mine broke

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Did the spring fix your problem? If so can you share where you purchased the spring. My driver window needs a spring mine broke
Man it did and s didn't; first of all it's really hard to install "100%". Meaning you need to keep it tightly wouldn't and hold it with c-clamps. I got it about 90% as wound as I should have. So mine would hold it but not all the way up.

Then mine apparently came loose a few weekends ago where I installed it because it's rolls itself down bad now. And there is not a single video of how to install it or instructions :(

But yes, that spring fixes it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor