wanted turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.

frtend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2006
Indiana
May be way off base here,but James,sounds as if you are trying to engineer something without the proper knowlege and expertice. Not that I have any/enough either, but you need to be sure not to go over your head and end up with something that may run, but that you not happy with. Again,I may be way off here,but it sounds like you need to put alot more though into just what you want you car to do and alot more research on how to get it there. Your idea is great and very doable and has fantastic potential. If the execution is done correctly! So many things to consider like air flow(in and out),RPM,fuel pressure and flow. Reputable companies spend lots on research to find good combos that work well.Please find and use them. Just my two cents....not worth much but there they are!

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
frtend said:
May be way off base here,but James,sounds as if you are trying to engineer something without the proper knowlege and expertice. Not that I have any/enough either, but you need to be sure not to go over your head and end up with something that may run, but that you not happy with. Again,I may be way off here,but it sounds like you need to put alot more though into just what you want you car to do and alot more research on how to get it there. Your idea is great and very doable and has fantastic potential. If the execution is done correctly! So many things to consider like air flow(in and out),RPM,fuel pressure and flow. Reputable companies spend lots on research to find good combos that work well.Please find and use them. Just my two cents....not worth much but there they are!

Ok, first of all I am really thankfull for everyones "two cents" it is worth more than you think. I was really tired when I wrote the post and I guess some things I said were said wrong. I would also like everyone to know that I am an ASE certified tech and have been for many years, I know that really doesnt mean a whole hell of a lot, but it just means that I have been doing this for a while. I have not, however done alot with turbos. I will now hopefully clear up a few things. I meant forged internals, not cast. not sure what I was thinking there. When I was talking about "detonation" i was not talking about excessive cylinder pressure caused by timing, too much boost etc.. I mearly meant That I wanted to build the short block well enough to keep it from coming apart. I agree totally with all that was said about the turbo setup. When I said the Boost of a 4.4l engine, i only meant the stock air flow of 2 2.2l engines. I understand that boost is relative to alot of other issues. The issues I understand, its everything else I am learning about. Believe me I have been doing alot of research and will continue to do so. Please dont take anything I say wrong, I am not trying to come across as a know it all A@%hole, I am just trying to say that I am not an idiot trying to throw something together that wont work. I am just not as up on my turbo's as I want to be to do this project. Please continue to give me any and all feedback on this subject. Again thank you.

frtend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2006
Indiana
well...see there. I was off base!

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
That post makes me a little more confident in your ability as well. Puncuation and grammer in a post make it much more enjoyable to read and respond too.

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
Thank you

I am really glad you guys responded. I was really afraid I came across bad. I do have another question in regards to the post. Given that I wont be using the boost alot since this is a show car, but it will still be used occasionally. Should I use an intercooler? I know the main function of the intercooler is to cool the incoming air, making it more dense and helping to avoid the hot air sparking the fuel mixture, but since I wont be using it very often, is it worth the extra expense? Again thank you

frtend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2006
Indiana
you'd have to chrome at least the frame of the cooler and the plumbing for the bling factor.As a show car you always need some more bling!

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
frtend said:
you'd have to chrome at least the frame of the cooler and the plumbing for the bling factor.As a show car you always need some more bling!

But do you think the extra "bling" is worth the extra expense? There will already be plenty of Bling, hell there will be twin turbos. I also plan on chroming all the tubing for the turbo, my turbo headers are polished stainless. Shaved firewall, NO visible wiring. I am just not sure if I need more, not to mention the fact that I will have to fab some sort of front end supports if I use a cooler.

frtend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2006
Indiana
Can never have too much bling!!! Seriously,that is really up to you and your budget.If you can swing it,do it.If not,don't.Show cars want the polish. Real cars(don't mean anything by that!) want the cooler intake. Personally,if your going to do that much fabrication and go through that expense of twin turbos....I would want the cooler......maybe even twins!!!

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
hot rod did an article on a 57 chev with like 8 turbos. it sucked but was awesome to look at. It only put out like 600 hp. they said that a twim setup would have been better but someone told the guy that built it that it couldn't be done. I dont remember they date of the mag but it was a cover car. it was a great article on multiple turbo setups. you might be able to find the article on therc web site.

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
RedHotRegal said:
hot rod did an article on a 57 chev with like 8 turbos. it sucked but was awesome to look at. It only put out like 600 hp. they said that a twim setup would have been better but someone told the guy that built it that it couldn't be done. I dont remember they date of the mag but it was a cover car. it was a great article on multiple turbo setups. you might be able to find the article on therc web site.

I actually have the article, I think it is way overboard. He has got to have alot of exhaust backpressure. Probably why he could only sqeeze out 600 hp. You guys keep giving me alot of good ideas, thank you. Tell me what you think of this. I am about 90% convinced to use an intercooler, but I found a company that makes them for the the framerails to keep from having to modify the front end. Since the body is off the car theses would be easy to fab, Or should I just fab one in the front. Maybe one of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor