Water Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

78Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2007
I have a 78 Grand Prix that has a water leak some where everytime it rains. But there is also cooland in it as well. Does anyone have some idea what this may be?

betcha618

Greasemonkey
Jul 24, 2007
78Prix said:
I have a 78 Grand Prix that has a water leak some where everytime it rains. But there is also cooland in it as well. Does anyone have some idea what this may be?

You mean Coolant? if it is on the passenger side front floor it would be a bad heater core.

78Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2007
No the car isnt running. But this only happens when it rains. I wasnt sure if there was a seal some where that would let rain water in that gos by where there is cooland setting because there is always collant with it like it is running by where cooland would sett.

betcha618

Greasemonkey
Jul 24, 2007
78Prix said:
No the car isnt running. But this only happens when it rains. I wasnt sure if there was a seal some where that would let rain water in that gos by where there is cooland setting because there is always collant with it like it is running by where cooland would sett.

ITS COOLANT!!

and the heater core is the only place near your interior that there is COOLANT. weather the rain is getting in or not, if theres coolant mixed in with it. your heater core is leaking.

78Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 5, 2007
Does the heater core have a seal around it that would let rain in as well. Also, if its the heater core wouldnt it had leaked when running? I had the carpet out for a month and never had coolant on the passenger side floor when driving the car, only this past two weeks has there been water and coolant on the floor and its been raining all week and the cars hasnt ran because the intake is being replaced and all the coolant is drained.

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
It sounds like there are two problems. A slow leak in the heater core where almost everything evaporated while the engine was hot and running. Likely a pinhole that only leaks when the cooling system is pressurized.

What you're seeing now is a plugged drain tube at the bottom of the heater box. When it rains the heater box is filling with water and picking up the coolant dye left behind from the evapaorated coolant and running into the passenger compartment.

Pop the top off of the heater box and take a look inside. It isn't that difficult at all to do. If the heater core is green you know what the problem is. You should also be able to see the drain tube at the bottom, clean it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor