Water oil mix in valve covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sum_cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2011
Greer Sc
I got a problem G Body fam. I have a water oil mix in my valve covers but its not mixing in my oil pan.
cant figure it out. I have a brand new gasket and its still doing it. Its a chevy 350 that i have in my cutlass.
Didn´t really start to have this problem until i put the double hump heads on it but all my bolt holes line up
perfect. Shoot me some feed back

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
is it a full mix in both sides? Is it just a pocket or one or two pockets? Is it a tiny amount or a large amount? was it mixed with or smelt of coolant or looked like it? Or was it creamy lookin fully mixed?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
83hurst-olds said:
Since there are drain holes in your heads the oil/water WILL drain into the pan, it is just a matter of time. My first guess would be bad head or intake gaskets (or fit).

unless its slightly pocketing from condensation or outside weather and not from coolant :?: it could basically sit in the top of the head forever. he'd have to give more info

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Condensation inside your valve covers is normal. Will be more prevalent in high humidity and short trip situations. The PCV system is designed to minimize this. If it's just water and not actual coolant -- you probably don't have anything to worry about. Be sure that your PCV system is complete and not restricted. Once the engine has run long enough to evaporate the condensation it is essentially "vented" through the PCV and burned through the carb.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Had an old 350 w/out a pcv valve and every time I took off the covers had to take out a pocket of water. It wasn't bad not enough to hurt anything in the engine but was annoying and it never went away.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree. Milky oil in valve covers indicates a cold motor. Are you running a cold thermostat? Take short trips? Have valve cover vents to atmosphere? Worst case is it dribbles down to the oil pan and ruins your oil.

sum_cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2011
Greer Sc
it looks like it´s not a coolant leak, more condensation than anything. just gets irritating everytime you take off the valve cover you have a good bit of it at the top. It´s about the same on both sides. i didnt think it could be from humidity because it did the same thing dureing the winter months

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
sum_cut said:
it looks like it´s not a coolant leak, more condensation than anything. just gets irritating everytime you take off the valve cover you have a good bit of it at the top. It´s about the same on both sides. i didnt think it could be from humidity because it did the same thing dureing the winter months

How is your pcv routed? Like driven says the pcv should suck out a good bit of contaminants and water, the cover with pcv valve should have less water in it, in theory.

On the same topic, whats the best way to route pcv lines? Is two valve cover pcvs with two vacuum sources and one breather on the filler tube the best?

varns1985442

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2010
SD
if its condensation it wont hurt anything. Water in your oil wont ruin it but anti freeze is not good in your oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor