Water pump question - turns hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
I just re-installed the water pump on my rebuild engine and I have a general water pump question. I am noticing that the water pump shaft is a lot harder to spin by hand after being installed. Is this normal? Kind of like pre-load on pinion? I am concerned it takes too much "power" to spin it. I can barely turn it by hand and in fact I needed a pipe wrench to get it started. I do not have the fan installed, just grabbing the 4 little fan bolts and spinning it that way? Is there a way to test for spin "tension"? In other words, how much torque ft lbs should it take to spin the water pump shaft? If it makes a difference, engine is 3.8 L 231 V6 1984 .

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Pump should turn easily...without a lot of effort. Sounds like you have something blocking it or its binding on the timing cover. Its possible that the impeller was not pressed all the way onto the shaft and it's now hitting the timing cover. I'd pull it back off...take it back to the store and get another one...tell them you need some new sealant and they should throw that in for free for your trouble.

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
It's not a new one. It's one I pulled of an 85 that was showing no signs of leakage. I'll pull it off and now I'm wondering what the differences are between the 84 nad 85 water pumps and timing covers. Hmmmm.

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
Pulled it off and sure enough the water pump was rubbing the timing cover. Must be the 85 is "deeper" than the 84 timing cover. Or else there is an "extra thick" gasket that can be used...Odd

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor