water temp gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
the water temp gauge doesnt work on the 88 monte ss, i replaced the sender with one i thought worked, do the gauges commonly go out? ho can i test the gauge?
thanks

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I would replace it with a NEW sending unit and then go from there.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
can i hook up a positive and ground wire to the two pins that connect to the sender and see if the gauge moves?

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
temp gauge

the sending unit for your temp gauge is in your left cylinder head! it is a single green wire. the two wire is the temp sensor for your computer! to test your temp gauge ,turn your key to the on position--- disconnect the green wire and test with a test light it should have low voltage !!!! your gauge should be at the lowest reading with the wire disconnected.... next you need to ground the green wire!!! the gauge should go to the highest reading...if the gauge doesnt move then the gauge is bad!!! if it moves to the highest point then your sensor is the problem i hope this helps you :D

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
two things, where on the left(driver side?) cylinder head is the sensor, and for the two wire sensor for the computer, i used grey RTV gasket maker on the threads is that ok, or not good
thanks

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, it depends. It is a one wire sender, but it may also be in the intake manifold, on the driver's side in the coolant crossover passage. The head location will be pretty obvious as there should be a metal mount that bolts under the valve cover nut, that holds a single wire that goes to a sender that is located between the font most cylinder and the two paired cylinders in the middle. I know this because I did a "factory accurate" swap and had to source all of the little brackets and things. This is also a handy tech tip for anyone with headers that keeps burning their green wire. Get the bracket, zip tie the wire to it (it has a hole) and it will keep the wire off the headers.

bluebronco69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 10, 2008
thanks for the info i will look again and let you know what i find, ps thanks for answering my others posts too

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor