WAY, WAY OFF-TOPIC: Just had it out with Mother-In-Law

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I apologize in advance if this oversteps forum rules, and if you have to lock or remove, do what you have to do. I’ll cut to the chase. I just kind of had it out with my mother-in-law. TBH, we’ve kind of had a civil but strained relationship in the 13 years I’ve been married.

She made a comment a few weeks ago when my wife and I were having dinner with her and my father-in-law, and she just blurted out of nowhere, “you don’t care about the house.”

I confronted her about it this afternoon. I tried to be calm and gracious toward her, but she felt like picking a fight, so I’m like “Fine. I see how it’s going to be.”

During the course of the conversation, it came out that she thought since I got the wagon, I’ve been obsessed with the car (in her opinion) and I’ve neglected the house. I beg to differ. I basically told her it was none of her business, and that I’ve been financially responsible, and feel I’ve been a good husband to her daughter. She admitted I have never come to them asking for money.

Anyway...There was a lot more that was said, but I feel justified in saying what I did, and tried to do it respectfully. That she decided not to reply in kind is not my problem. </rant>

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
trump_36979744f7bde8775402df999ff02f459ef41340.jpg

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It's good to vent somewhere about in-laws. I've been fighting with my sister-in-law & her husband for almost a year over us buying the '14 Silverado to replace the '08 that she kept nagging me on getting rid of in the first place. I just quit talking to them, makes things more peaceful & lets them look like asses trying to start things when I'll just get up & leave.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Gwarren79, I tried asking her to meet me at a neutral, off-site location, but she said she was “too tired” and “just come on over.” That was probably my first mistake.

But whatever. I have no regrets about what I said. It needed to be said, and if nothing else, I think there are more clearly defined boundaries between what I consider appropriate involvement in my marriage and household.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Mine is toothless, jobless, penniless, and homeless. Also a pillhead hoarder. She's in no position to criticize any of my life decisions. We see each other about once a year. I'm polite but just prefer to make myself scarce when she visits. I've made it 110% clear that she will never, ever move into my house -- not even temporarily.
My wife's step mom is a little annoying but mostly okay. Her dad is cool. I only see them about once a year too.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sorry to hear that.

I'm blessed that my in-laws are great to deal with/be around. Her dad is a character, but a good guy

I have a better relationship with her mother than my own, especially since my dad passed away.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
You are so fortunate, Brian. Unfortunately, my MIL is just by nature an anxious, reactive, and bitter, angry person. Not much I can do about that.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor