welding gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
N e tips on welding my gas tank with oxy/ acc. just wondering because its really dripping bad.

Shibbs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2010
Rule 1 - Make sure you drain the gas.

:rofl: :rofl:

Also let the vapors disperse WELL, because its really the vapors you have to worry about combusting.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
You can buy a Brand new one for $120.00 or so....Why not go that route??

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
Be careful and fill it with water first . . . a few months ago some brothers by where I live tried cutting open a gas tank in order to scrap it, and even though it was empty a spark ignited the vapors and one was killed, the other hurt, and it even destroyed a nearby car!

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Brick442 said:
Be careful and fill it with water first . . . a few months ago some brothers by where I live tried cutting open a gas tank in order to scrap it, and even though it was empty a spark ignited the vapors and one was killed, the other hurt, and it even destroyed a nearby car!
That's why I'm saying just go grab a new one bud........I am in the process of replacing my southern gas tank with a new one...NO problems at all with my original tank, only putting a sump in the new one so I can run bigger fuel lines as My car likes to go down the 1320' once in a while......I figured for the $125.00 I paid for the new tank is just cheap insurance...Hell bro, I'd sell you mine with no issues for like $50.00 plus the ride.... I live in Livonia NY 14487....

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Unless its a hole that was poked through by something not worth your effort . I know funds can be tight but the tanks rust inside out so if its rusted in one spot on tank it will be leaking soon around there. I hate to spend money but to redo it again and again sucks

But if you have to like said fill it with water to full then drain to below the weld area . Good luck

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you can't afford a new one at least let a radiator shop solder it for you. They know how to do it without blowing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor