Well, I'm pissed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyPuck

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2008
:x

Well, after buying my car ('86 Cutlass) sight unseen as a 305/ th350 car I have received it as a 307 / metric 200 car.

The motor is freshly rebuilt, but is a 307.(What a waste)

The transmission is toast.....

The body is rust free, and other than needing a new door (I have door) and paint(in primer) is in decent shape.

WHat are my options for a transmission now? Will anything swap in?

I'm extremely pissed at being lied to but I paid almost nothing for the car, not sure weather I'm going to put a transmission in it and drive the hell out of it or part it out and crush it.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
ya, that option isn't any good. If it's the olds motor it isn't worth a dime because you can't make any power with it and they were built forever which doesn't make them rare. The transmission should for sure be tossed, a 200r4 is a good choice, or a turbo 350, they'll bolt on to pretty much any GM small blocks that aren't radically built ones. Good luck getting over 200 hp to the wheels with the engine though. I think it maxes out just under that limit with bolt on stuff, unless you want to spend thousands on custom internal parts that might not work well (there aren't many kits or performance parts for that engine).

Edit: if it's a chevy 307 then you might have something to work with, but I don't know any nut that would bolt a chevy 307 to the original olds hydramatic 200

kyhunter89

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2007
KY
did they know what it really was or were they dumb?

Id say its an olds motor...307 olds came in it....

BBC_cutty

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2008
not to sure but if your running a t350 or a 400 in an olds motor, i think u need to change the ballhousing, the olds motors are JUNK, id NEVER run one in ANYTHING....but they are known for torque, an TQ is what makes the wheels spin!

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Wow, there is some serious uneducated statements in this thread.

First off, the 307 isnt junk. They are what they are made for. Reliability.
No, they arent powerhouses.

Second, Olds motors are not junk. Your right that they are known for their torque. And it isnt just what makes wheels spin, its what gets the car moving off the line.

Olds motors can be built up to serious levels. There are some who are running deep into the 8's in the quarter with a small block Olds engine. Bill Trovato is the best example of this. He routinely womps on Chevy powered cars (bb and sb).

Third, the Chevy 307 isnt any better than the Olds 307. Just different. They werent meant to be powerhouses. Just reliable engines to get a car moving.

Yes, the metric 200 is a junk transmission.

If you want drop in replacement, the TH350 will bolt right up if it has the BOP bellhousing.

If you want to put a 2004r in there, you will need a different crossmember for the transmission as the 2004r and the th350 crossmembers are different.

If you didnt know what the car had in it, and you were thinking that maybe the car had the 305 (which is in the same league as the 307's) and a th350 transmission in it, but you didnt find out for sure through pictures and lots of questions, then you only have yourself to be mad at.

The only Olds Cutlass's that came with the 305 were Canadian Cutlass's. All others came with either the 350 Olds diesel, the buick 231 v6 or the Olds 307. All 3 speed cars after 82 were the th200, not the th350.

titanica217

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2008
Springfield, IL
please don't crush it. any number of people here in the rust belt would give their right nut for it. list it on ebay with no reserve, pick up only.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
hunter_alexander said:
Wow, there is some serious uneducated statements in this thread.

First off, the 307 isnt junk. They are what they are made for. Reliability.
No, they arent powerhouses.

Second, Olds motors are not junk. Your right that they are known for their torque. And it isnt just what makes wheels spin, its what gets the car moving off the line.

Olds motors can be built up to serious levels. There are some who are running deep into the 8's in the quarter with a small block Olds engine. Bill Trovato is the best example of this. He routinely womps on Chevy powered cars (bb and sb).

Third, the Chevy 307 isnt any better than the Olds 307. Just different. They werent meant to be powerhouses. Just reliable engines to get a car moving.

The olds 307 is a boat anchor, we aren't talking about an olds 350 block here, the smallest olds (sb) engine is no good. Put big power in it and you'll have big trouble. AND parts are going to be few and far between for any performance modifications.

The chevy 307 is much different, much better, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

If you want a reliable engine with 16 mpg and 160 hp/200 something torque, there are a lot better choices.

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
custom442 wrote:

"The olds 307 is a boat anchor, we aren't talking about an olds 350 block here, the smallest olds (sb) engine is no good. Put big power in it and you'll have big trouble. AND parts are going to be few and far between for any performance modifications.

The chevy 307 is much different, much better, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

If you want a reliable engine with 16 mpg and 160 hp/200 something torque, there are a lot better choices. "

The smalles v8 olds (older era engine) is the 260. Way underpowered, but it would make a car move, which was the whole point.

The 307 isnt a boat anchor, as it powered just about everything, reliably from cadillacs to chevy's.

It was never meant to be a powerhouse, just a reliable engine.

They made almost 20-21 mpg and 180hp stock. Reliably. And many of them are running still.

So what better choices do you want to run what you said? Seems to me that the 307 Olds already fits this bill.

You are right, comparing 307s is like comparing apples to oranges, but, like I said, the chevy 307 is in the same class as the olds 307. Never meant to be a powerhouse, and never meant to be worked over. It was designed to be a reliable engine that would move a car. Nothing more. Why would you even talk about trying to put big power to a 307 anything?

How many people do you hear of working over the Chevy 307? About as many as the Olds 307. Why? Because it is a waste of money, when you can just get a 350 to start with, and work it for bigger gains.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Its fresh throw 75 or 100HP of spray on it for when you want it and drive it while you get another driveline setup. There is a guy on another board than ran high 13s like that for a long time until his new setup was ready.

ckosacranoid

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2008
grayslake,ill
How many people do you hear of working over the Chevy 307? About as many as the Olds 307. Why? Because it is a waste of money, when you can just get a 350 to start with, and work it for bigger gains.[/quote]

raises hand!!!!!

i have a stock 307 in my delta 88 and i have done some work to it for adding some power, but nothing more then bolt on stuff. besides i am doing it for the fun factor anyway. with over 200,000 miles on it it aint much, but it is a v-8 which is fun to say,
i have added headers, and a k+n airfilter with a 600cfm eddlebrock 4 bbr and duel exhust with no cats and str pipe. its loud, fun and a blast to drive.
i have also autocrossed the car also...
but i am just insane to even work up a turn anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor