What 3.5 Dash Speakers Fit 1986 Olds Cutlass Supreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g9s8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2018
If you're looking at high end speakers, then you should know that a 3.5" in the dash, firing off the windshield, or on different planes, would be a waste of money.
Or, are you just trolling for opinions again? I hear Ford makes a nice 3.5; maybe Tasca can install them for you.

I'm not even trying to get into the middle of this but....I just wanted to say...without using kickpanels or trying to build something for the front, wouldn't replacing the front 3.5s with something other than factory be the logical idea. Who wants to spend money on an aftermarket product that just isnt that good?? So, what is wrong with putting in a quality speaker in replacement of the factory?
I can also say that, when I had my first Buick Regal, I had some aftermarket dash speakers with some 6x9's in the rear and I had it sounded great. It was not audiophile great but waaaay better than a factory setup.

I did not find a viable forum to post this thread, so I entered under 'Model Specific'. To begin, I have been searching for 3.5 speakers to fit for many years: MB Quart, Infinity, JBL, Pioneer, Sony, Audison, Audio Frog, Morel, Focal and others. Have any replaced the fronts (3.5) with a quality speaker 'that fits'? I believe the depth is 2" inches. There is also the issue of the tweeter protruding on aftermarket speakers; not allowing the grills to seat properly. I've taken them out so many times I cannot remember, only as to keep replacing with a 25w rms speaker, if that. Looking for at least 50w rms. Also, are base blockers essential, as some high end 3.5's provide them. I really hate clipping or distortion.

If any have delved into this area or have knowledge, please provide all input to the aforesaid. All replies welcome. Thanks very much.

I wish I could recommend something but I can't recall what I had in mine and it was many years ago and I am pretty sure they wouldn't be in production anymore. Personally, I don't know if I will be a fan of it but I am probably going to be going with kickpanels for my current Buick Regal.

Good luck with finding what you are searching for. I know they are out there still.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I did something that most of you wouldn't do. But I did this 20 yes ago when I was young and dumb so I'm making the best of it, but it looks good.
I trimmed the hole in the dash bigger and cut the top grills. In the bottom of the grill there is a circle stamped that I cut out with a dremel to get a perfect round circle.
Then I used 4" speakers and trimmed two mounting tabs off
IMG_20190518_183707.jpg
IMG_20190518_183721.jpg
IMG_20190518_183730.jpg
IMG_20190518_183748.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

g9s8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2018
I did something that most of you wouldn't do. But I did this 20 yes ago when I was young and dumb so I'm making the best of it, but it looks good.
I trimmed the hole in the dash bigger and cut the top grills. In the bottom of the grill there is a circle stamped that I cut out with a dremel to get a perfect round circle.
Then I used 4" speakers and trimmed two mounting tabs off

As long as you were happy with it, thats all the matters. If anyone else considered doing that, you can just cover the grill with fabric to match the dash and adhere it to the plastic. It would look pretty clean and factory looking.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For my Monte I used a component set up and put the tweeters where my 3.5' speakers were but Monte's also have removable grills and I installed the 6.5" speaker in the door and 6 x 9 in the rear using a notch instead of adapters and it sounds pretty good.
IMG_0897.JPG

For my 86' Regal I installed these Pioneers in the dash but these had to fit under the one piece dash cover and also some 6,5" slim mounts in the door panels like my Monte.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=160936776450
And like my Monte I installed 6 x 9's in the rear without adapters and I also like how this set up sounds plus this car will be much quieter exhaust wise than the Monte.
20170716_205240_resized.jpg

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
For my Monte I used a component set up and put the tweeters where my 3.5' speakers were but Monte's also have removable grills and I installed the 6.5" speaker in the door and 6 x 9 in the rear using a notch instead of adapters and it sounds pretty good.
View attachment 113883

For my 86' Regal I installed these Pioneers in the dash but these had to fit under the one piece dash cover and also some 6,5" slim mounts in the door panels like my Monte.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=160936776450
And like my Monte I installed 6 x 9's in the rear without adapters and I also like how this set up sounds plus this car will be much quieter exhaust wise than the Monte.
View attachment 113884
Did you just notch out the rear deck to allow the 6x9's to fit right? I had 6x9's with adapter in the Cutlass and didn't like it because you could hear them rattle sometimes....also had 2 10" subs back in the day.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Did you just notch out the rear deck to allow the 6x9's to fit right? I had 6x9's with adapter in the Cutlass and didn't like it because you could hear them rattle sometimes....also had 2 10" subs back in the day.
Yup, I just cut a notch the depth of the speaker (maybe 1") and probably 5-6" long just below the deck behind the rear seat and I also opened up the hole on the deck to better match the 6 x 9's, the speakers sit flush to the deck and give you the clearance needed if your car has the bars for trunk supports.
The back seat covers the notch so no one even knows.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yup, I just cut a notch the depth of the speaker (maybe 1") and probably 5-6" long just below the deck behind the rear seat and I also opened up the hole on the deck to better match the 6 x 9's, the speakers sit flush to the deck and give you the clearance needed if your car has the bars for trunk supports.
The back seat covers the notch so no one even knows.
Next time you're in the Monte will you snap a pic or two please? That's on my to-do list.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor