what are some cheap headers i can buy for my ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollnss

n00b
Dec 9, 2007
Fort Worth ,Texas
when i first bought my car it had the 305 in it and i changed over to a 350. i bought the flowtech headers for a 85 monte ss. i tried to fit it in but the just dont work. my passenger header dosent fit at all. the upper a frame is in the way and the oil pressure sensor above the oil filter is in the way, on the drivers side. any help would be greatly appreciated. i got my car tagged and inspected for my birthday. that was 4 months ago. i stopped paying insurance on it. this is killing me.i pulled all the smog pump equipment off while doing this. i dont want to put all that crap back on. the engine looks so much cleaner without.

does any one know a economacy low priced header i can bolt on using a 350 engine. im even open to a used set if any one has any. chritmas time is arounf the corner and ill be hurtung till feburary.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
did you try to install the header from underneath? sometimes that's the only way. i've got the flowtech afterburners on my 87 ss and the DS went smooth and the PS was a b*tch but it went.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
I have a set of Flowtechs that I had on my SS for a few years. For the drivers side header you need to remove the oil pressure sending unit and use a couple of 45 degree fittings to mount the sensor out of the way of the header.

The passenger side never gave me any problems but I did put it in from under the car, I believe I even had the starter off while installing the header. Try to get the car as high up in the air as you can get it so you can get the header up in the area provided. Also helps if you have the spark plugs out and the oil filter removed.

The worst problem I had with the Flowtechs was that they rubbed on my shift linkage and caused the floor shift cable to break.

Randy

1fast87LS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 17, 2006
St. Albans WV
i useing the same headers as ss4ever the flowtechs are a good cheap header and they must go in from the bottom. flowtechs are just a cheaper verson of hooker headers

rollnss

n00b
Dec 9, 2007
Fort Worth ,Texas
thank you for the help. i tried and tried this but ill try it agian and hope to finially get them in. i just dont want to buy another set.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
i had to take my oil pressure sensor out when i installed my headers because it stuck out too far. lets see some pics so I can see if your problems looked like mine. they were a TIGHT squeeze...If I ever have to remove that starter....i'm going to be cursing.

rollnss

n00b
Dec 9, 2007
Fort Worth ,Texas
well i got a elbow to angle it out the way. it looks like it will work i just need to get a extension to move further out. maybe a 1inch fitting.

the passenger side is much diffrent. i tried to get it as close as possible to the bolt holes. im going to heat the bottom collector with a torch and move it. i hits the a frame and i just need to squeeeze it over a inch or two.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
rollnss said:
well i got a elbow to angle it out the way. it looks like it will work i just need to get a extension to move further out. maybe a 1inch fitting.

the passenger side is much diffrent. i tried to get it as close as possible to the bolt holes. im going to heat the bottom collector with a torch and move it. i hits the a frame and i just need to squeeeze it over a inch or two.

i thought my headers didnt fit either and they were hitting some of the steering or control arm pieces (i forgot exactly). i swore it would not fit, but when i started tightening the header bolts down making them sit right and they cleared everything surprisingly.

show me what your using for the oil pressure thing. i just blocked my hole off but...kinda sucks to have a non working gauge.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
ya but you could find another place on the block and extend the wires right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor