what are some cheap headers i can buy for my ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I could not go without the oil pressure gauge. That is engine suicide.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
there are 2 oil sensors, one is a safety feature--if pressure drops enough it turns off the engine. the other is for the gauge. as long as you know that you'll pay attention to the gauge you can eliminate the safety switch.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
megaladon6 said:
there are 2 oil sensors, one is a safety feature--if pressure drops enough it turns off the engine. the other is for the gauge. as long as you know that you'll pay attention to the gauge you can eliminate the safety switch.

does the safety switch work without the little engine computer? cause i tore out my computer a couple months ago.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
no, you need the computer. I did not have one (computer) and my pressure shot down to 5 and the engine stayed on. As long as you have the guage and watch it then all should be okay.

Chillin014

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2007
houston/richmond tx
ryanwitski said:
no, you need the computer. I did not have one (computer) and my pressure shot down to 5 and the engine stayed on. As long as you have the guage and watch it then all should be okay.

thanks for the info, and sorry to the OP for the thread hi-jack.

so I could remove the safety switch from the rear manifold and replace it with the pressure sender and reconnect my gauge?

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
I don't see why not. It's the same thing just a different place.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i didn't have an engine when i bought the car so i just dropped in the 383 with the sender behind the intake--works fine. i had 1 minor issue--the sender i had rubbed on the rib on the intake. i just used a dremel to clearence it about 1/16. the rib is a solid 1/4in so it's not an problem. i also have a vortec intake so you may not have that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor