What are the symptoms of a loose flex plate or torque cnvtr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesejam

Apprentice
Mar 15, 2009
California
Trying to find the source of vibration, it happens between 1000-1500 rpm in every gear including park and neutral. Also, when I floor it on the highway to pass, the transmission doesn't kick down. It hesitates until I let off the gas and push it back down. Could it be a bad/loose flex plate or torque converter?

I assume you checked the trans fluid level? Have you dropped the pan, changed the filter or anything? I would do a fluid and filter change for starters. Also looked for kinked lines to the radiator, check the kick down and if it has one, the vacuum line.

Just some ideas,,,also I wonder if the torque converter does not have enough fluid in it if that could cause it.

Hope that helps.

It would make a clicking noise, and your car would shimmy or shutter if the transmission housing bolts were loose, it happened to me once.

It does shudder a little bit, and when I am on the highway and floor it, there's a noise and it takes a couple seconds to kick down into 3rd with a clunk. Could this still be the flex plate or torque converter? Or something else?

I've worked on a buddies Tahoe and his flexplate was making loud "clacking" noises cuz it was cracked .I did that work twice till i got a good quality flexplate from GM. I don't think that would cause a shudder or hesitation. Check the torque converter. How does the trans fluid smell? Is it dark and smell like its burnt? But take off the trans dust shield and double check that the bolts are tight.

I am starting to think something different.

If a shift kit was installed in the transmission it could have been done wrong and is on it's way out. If it is stock, I am thinking that maby the check valves or balls are sticking, possibly causing the delay.

also like 85GPLef41 said, check the fluid.....also check your trans mount and all the bolts.

Also check the harmonic balancer, occasionally they will spin the outer ring if the rubber insulator goes bad. Check the radiator fan clutch for excessive play. Inspect engine and trans mounts, may be broken or collapsed causing the engine to contact the frame/body... Good luck......

Overdrive transmissions kickdown/TV cable must be adjusted properly to engage passing gear. If your not familiar this should be done by someone who is, trans can be damaged by an improper adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor