What are they worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I gave $2000 for this one 18 months ago as a roller. Seats and carpet were junk, but I was more concerned with good quarters/floors/frame, and Malibu coupes are not common in this area.

sam_2045.jpg

This one was for sale at the same time, non-running unknown SBC with Krylon rebuild, totally trashed interior,, needed both bumpers, damage on both quarters, and a rusty frame for $3000 FIRM. The 20" tires were bald, and the chrome was peeling off the wheels. I think it sold for around $2000 without the wheels, and was then for sale less drivetrain a few months later for $1000. It was a bucket car, but console was broken. Oh yeah, it had a "rare factory spoiler" (firebird, actually) on the trunk lid , and I was an idiot and didn't know sh*t about Malibus (despite driving up to look at it in the wagon) when I called BS on that statement.

drexel.jpg

And wouldn't you know it, this one was $3000, running driving about 4 months later, but was sold by the time I talked myself into going to look at it

00909_jyMUXUzHQFv_1200x900.jpg

This was in Tulsa about 9 months ago for around $ 800 as I recall

00l0l_knlRaBIqEV3_1200x900.jpg 00N0N_iifYKjRVtUu_1200x900.jpg 00u0u_7Ig1hPsxovQ_1200x900.jpg

There was an '80 coupe with a non-running, just sitting in it, used-up looking 301 Pontiac, some rust issues, toasted interior, and no title for $2000. I didn't keep a pic of it.

So based on MY local market, I'd say the car you describe is worth $5K all day long, maybe more if everything is the color/wheel choice you want. I'd love to find a car like you describe for the $2500 these guys always say they're worth

These are the only Malibu coupes that have been on the local market in the last 2-3 years that were more than parts cars, excluding cars that were already "done"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I've barely started on the wagon, and I've already got the itch for my next G. I'm debating between an El Camino, or some oddball like a Cutlass Salon or Century 4-door fastback. I'd also be interested in doing a four-light Cutlass Cruiser...Everyone's doing the coupes...I like doing something different. Thoughts?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I've barely started on the wagon, and I've already got the itch for my next G. I'm debating between an El Camino, or some oddball like a Cutlass Salon or Century 4-door fastback. I'd also be interested in doing a four-light Cutlass Cruiser...Everyone's doing the coupes...I like doing something different. Thoughts?

My thoughts...buy the next project now, before they get really expensive, but plan on storing it or driving it as-is until the first project is done. Between work, home repairs/upgrades, school functions, property maintenance, and family, there isn't really time to make progress on 2 projects at once....at least for me, I keep finding myself distracted from one car by the other

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
So based on MY local market, I'd say the car you describe is worth $5K all day long, maybe more if everything is the color/wheel choice you want. I'd love to find a car like you describe for the $2500 these guys always say they're worth

These are the only Malibu coupes that have been on the local market in the last 2-3 years that were more than parts cars, excluding cars that were already "done"

If there are multiple people that can see potential and have cash and don't already have 5 other projects, a nice roller can sell for more than $2500. But there was a 2dr Grand Am roller in Dallas that was on CL for months @ at $800 and finally sold when he dropped it to $600.

For $5,000 I can go on craigslist and get a pretty nice, running driving car I can daily drive for a few years problem free. A roller generally isn't that, so from "a car you can drive" perspective, $5K rollers aren't good deals, so then you get into the realm of intangibles, like "sentimental value" which is murky and unknown and relies on some level of mental illness on the part of the buyer.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You're talking apples to oranges.

When you're looking for a specific car, it doesn't really matter what you can buy at a given price if it isn't the car you're looking for.

If it was about low price and utility, and not about wanting something specific, there are shitloads of options.

Fresh paint and interior, powder coated frame Malibu for $2500?...point it out to me.

I've said it before, and it's still true... I LIKE G bodies. I've owned musclecars, and drove Chevelle SS cars from the time I was 16 into my late 20s, and others after that, fun cars, but just not my cup o' tea anymore.

I still like the Malibus and if that's mental illness, so be it. I value my satisfaction way more than being a soulless sheep in a boring looks-like-every-other-car-on-the-road conformist metal box.

• Winner

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Sadly the vast majority of people are all looking for that finished car and don't appreciate the the work that goes into a car or the what separates a $600 roller that needs $10,000 worth of work to bring it to the level of Roller that $10K in it, but that $10K Roller is going to have a hard time finding a buyer @ $5K, because they start pricing motors and transmissions and start calculating they could buy a nice driver for $12K and not loose 6 months worth of evenings and have 2 garage stalls of disassembled car for that time.

I'm not saying its not totally worth $5K, I'm just saying it may be hard to get that.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Depends on if you’re in a time crunch to sell it, or not. If not, just put your desired price out there, and see how many nibbles you get. If you’re under-the-gun to sell it, you’re kind of at the mercy of the market.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
WOW! Looks like I have stirred up a cauldron! Many thanks for the input, and you have all given me much to think on, and the number is probably going to be in the 5 to 6K range I think, but I also know what is there, and how thorough the rebuild is on the car. I am pretty sure I have everything I will need to complete the car as well.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
csstrux, just make sure you take lots of good pictures and a detailed description of the work on it to justify the asking price.
Thank you. I t is a build my father did. I watched this one go together, and everything in it has been gone through. She is better than new now. When we do the deal it will need nothing but a power source, and rolling stock if I want to go flashy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor