What can go bad from a car sitting for long periods of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesejam

Apprentice
Mar 15, 2009
California
My 1987 Cutlass Supreme was only driven >30 mph, one day a week for the last 22 years. I also think it sat unused for about a year. What could have gone bad from this lack of use? Could there be transmission issues from never getting up to highway speeds? Or something all gummed up that hasn't crossed my mind yet?

The once a week thing is fine. The only worry would be sitting for a year. I would drain the gas tank and put in new feul (or just top it up if it's low) and then do basic tune up stuff, if needed.

As for not ever getting up to highway speed, I have seen this on a few cars. The heads get all carboned up. But its an easy fix. Just a few WOT runs down the highway and you should notice it getting better.

The only real concern I would have would be tires drying out and cracking if sitting too long. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just drive it, the car will let you know what it needs.

Check to see if the plugs are carboned up.

Replace the rubber brake hoses!!!!! That and the rubber fuel hoses and the engine hoses too. It is likely they have never been done and the failure of any of them could be catastrophic. Also, if it has not been run in a year, don't try to start it without priming it. At the very least change the oil, pull all the plugs, squirt a little oil in each cylinder then turn it by hand, followed by turning it with the starter until the oil light goes off. Only then do you put the plugs back in. This minimizes stress on the bearings if they are dry.

one bad thing i've seen from driving like that; since the engine never saw high rpm's the rods don't stretch out quite as far. the wear point in the cylinder is lower and a ridge forms. when you take it out and tromp on it, the piston hits the ridge snapping, at the least, the rings. you're best bet is to drive normally for a bit, just in case. then work you're way up.
to clean the heads/intake in the meantime, try seafoam.

to go along with what mega said, before I started it I would replace the oil with some break in oil, remove the distributor and build up oil pressure using a drill......we use the shaft from a distributor and a drill to engage the pump to lubricate the engine before we fire it up at the race shop....

I think it's too late for priming the engine and such.
Judging by his other posts he's already out and about driving it...

Inspecting all your rubber hoses and vacuum lines is a good idea.

I say just keep driving it and be alert of any potential mechanical problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor