What Chevy 12 Bolt rear do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
I got a Chevy 12 Bolt rear end that I want to put under my 84 Cutlass. Can anyone tell me what it came out of? It measures 58 inches from the tip of one axle tube to the other. The letters/numbers I see on the case are "CONI" (lower left), "J108" (lower right), and it has line 1 "1 2 3 4 5" line 2 "6 7 8 9 0" on it. Thanks

tnts79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2008
GotSomeRust said:
I got a Chevy 12 Bolt rear end that I want to put under my 84 Cutlass. Can anyone tell me what it came out of? It measures 58 inches from the tip of one axle tube to the other. The letters/numbers I see on the case are "CONI" (lower left), "J108" (lower right), and it has line 1 "1 2 3 4 5" line 2 "6 7 8 9 0" on it. Thanks

Well it was built in October of 68, probally used in a 1969 vehicle, there should be another code on the other side of the axle tube. That will give you more info as to axle ratio etc.. It's better to know flange to flange or drum to drum dimensions rather than tip to tip...? Im going to guess and say either a 69 chevelle or a 69 elky

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
OK, here's the rest of the info on the rear end. It has GM58 on one side and casting number 3959038 NF on the other. It measures 55 1/2 inches from outside of each flange (55 inches from inside). What is it from? Thanks

GotSomeRust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2008
South Dakota
Can anyone tell me what I need to get and do to make it fit under my 84 cutlass? Thanks

tnts79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2008
I am currently working on getting a rear similar to yours in my malibu. You can either buy new rear wheels with 5.5" of backspacing...., or have the rear narrowed. I measured mine and got 55.250, same as what CarCraft got when they did the comparison for G-body rears...? I am having my 12 narrowed 1 9/16" each side, ordering a new set of Moser axles, c clip eliminators, (if your car is faster than 12.99 in the 1/4 it's a must have item)upper adjustable control arms(iceman maliburacing.com), and umi lower control arms. All in all I will have about $1000 in my 12 bolt, it's been just laying around for years, time to do something with it! Good luck with yours, keep us informed, if you have any questions shoot me a pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor