What do I need after I remove vinyl top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
Hey, I have a 1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic and I plan on removing the vinyl top. I read one post on here about a guy taking the top off his Grand Prix and he said that he had to get the trim from the rear window and the two rear side windows from a non vinyl top car. Will I need to do that too if I remove the vinyl top off my cutlass???

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Theres countless topics about this already, the search app will most likely answer most of your questions. But you need the non vinyl quarter windows, chrome around the rear window, and the metal peice between the trunklid and rear window.

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Yes you will. You will need the quarter glasses out of a non-vinyl top Cutlass. The reason is that the vinyl actually tucked in behind the quarter glass on the vinyl top cars and therefore the outer sealing edge isnt there as it is on hard top models. Ill post a pic of the difference later after I return home from school and the alignment shop. There is a significant size difference between them that I will measure for you as well. The other thing to keep in mind is that you will need the rear trim off a non v top g body for the rear window. You will not have the mounts to install the mounting clips for the trim on a v top car. These are little studs that the mounting clips slide onto, there is a vendor on our board that sells the screw in version of these for around twenty dollars. You will also have to grind down the rivets that hold the front trim piece and quarter trim pieces in place along the outer edge of the vinyl top. There will also be an exposed seam where the rear quarter panel was mated to the roof. That will need to be filled in with fiberglass, bondo, what have you. The B-pillar behind the door will also require some filler too as it seems to sit a little lower and be a little rough on the vinyl top cars after the top os removed. The rear body filler, piece between the back of the trunk lid and the rear window will have holes in it as well from the vinyl top. You can get one of these at a u pull it for around 5 dollars off a non v top car or fill the holes on your old one with fiberglass. More later or as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor