What do you do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I've worked in an auto body shop on and off for the better part of the past eight years. I started doing small stuff, scuffing panels and assembly. For the past two or so years, since I graduated high school, I've been to the point I can do most anything. Now the shop I've been working at is closing it's doors after 45 years, and I'm not sure if I want to stick with auto body or move on to something else. I like the idea of being self employed, but I don't want to take out a loan for start-up costs. Auto body is a competitive business around here, and everyone rides on their reputation. Lots of new shops start up and close in the same year due to lack of a customer base. At 21 years old, a small business loan doesn't seem like as good of an investment as some more education.
You may be right about the loan vs. education thoughts, but don't give up on the idea of having a business of your own. Consider the idea of doing auto body on weekends to build a reputation, making sure that you charge a good and fair price, and don't undercut yourself charging too cheaply. Buy what you need as you are able.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It pays but I can’t stand working on cars that people couldn’t care less about. Most cars I do have damage on other parts of the car that the customer doesn’t want to fix because they did it themselves. They’re only fixing their car because someone else is paying. They’re the people that open their door into your fresh paint and have no clue why you want to kill them. Sorry rant over.

One of the many, many reasons I got outta that industry.

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
All you guys seem to have interesting and great careers. I just started working for a telephone company. Putting fiber optic cables in the ground, fusing the fiber, and installing the internet, tv, and television service to businesses and homes.
21 years in that field and counting

Reactions: 2 users

Sean80monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2015
Massachusetts
I’m a journeyman lineman for 15 years. Went to college but never finished and ended up building power lines. Probably the best on the job training you can experience.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor