What do you guys think of this '79 4 speed Malibu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
bourbon said:
Check these 2 out that are on the Chicago Craigslist:

11ea335b3be191384f66377b2b301651_zps28ed4adc.jpg

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3741857923.html
$4000

11950219a0de2413f0c93b90f24ecca7_zpsbc6b28eb.jpg

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3741789756.html
$4950

Both look infinitely better and are around the same price

Yeah, I saw those two on CL. I try to stay away from someone else's "hot rod" if possible. You never know what can of worms you're getting.

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
G-Body_Vet said:
To the OP, I suggest looking for cars outside of the city. I paid $1200 for my car in Wisconsin a few years ago and it's very clean underneath. Everything in the Chicago area is overpriced, not to mention the beating a city car takes and the salt damage from our crappy winters. Those 2 cars above aren't priced too terribly bad, but I usually see Malibu's around here in the $6500 range and there's nothing special about them. You'll find better deals in Indiana, Wisconsin, and the far surrounding burbs.

Oh yeah, I agree. I've found lots of cars in Wisconsin. You'd think they'd all be rust buckets up there, but lots of areas up there use sand instead of salt. And obviously, if it's low miles, it just plain hasn't been driven.

About a year and a half ago, I found a rust free, 40K mile, yellow '85 IROC-Z, in Minnesota.

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
chazman said:
I try to stay away from someone else's "hot rod" if possible.

Yep! I'm the same way. The closer to original the better. That's where the tasteful mods come into play. The worst one is seeing cars with custom interior....with someone's initials or name in the head rest or off-color piping that just looks cheap. Not a fan of dash mount tachs that put holes in the dash either. I've come to dislike Grant wheels too, especially the wood rimmed ones that everyone seems to buy.

I don't think the blue Malibu is bad though. I like the low profile cowl hood, original paint color and the N90's on it.

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
G-Body_Vet said:
chazman said:
I try to stay away from someone else's "hot rod" if possible.

Yep! I'm the same way. The closer to original the better. That's where the tasteful mods come into play. The worst one is seeing cars with custom interior....with someone's initials or name in the head rest or off-color piping that just looks cheap. Not a fan of dash mount tachs that put holes in the dash either. I've come to dislike Grant wheels too, especially the wood rimmed ones that everyone seems to buy.

I don't think the blue Malibu is bad though. I like the low profile cowl hood, original paint color and the N90's on it.

When I see the words "built" or "custom" in an ad, I cringe. That blue one in Michigan is fairly cool, though. But I agree, for me, the more original, the better.

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
Take your time and don't buy just because you have to have one right now. It took me over 2 yrs to find the one I wanted. We went to four different states looking at cars. The one I finally bought was only a few miles away from me and by far the best deal in the bunch.

I bought this car for the same money he is asking for that one. I didn't touch the body on mine, that is how it came. I since have redone the interior, carpet, seats, dash, radio, headliner. Replaced the small block, saginaw and 10 bolt, But what I got for the money was a super solid car. AND it is a factory 4 speed as well. Keep looking and good luck.

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
speedkills80 said:
Take your time and don't buy just because you have to have one right now. It took me over 2 yrs to find the one I wanted. We went to four different states looking at cars. The one I finally bought was only a few miles away from me and by far the best deal in the bunch.

I bought this car for the same money he is asking for that one. I didn't touch the body on mine, that is how it came. It since have redone the interior, carpet, seats, dash, radio, headliner. Replaced the small block, saginaw and 10 bolt, But what I got for the money was a super solid car. AND it is a factory 4 speed as well. Keep looking and good luck.

Nice!!!

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
A definite case of buyer beware. You'll find a better one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor