What do you think caused this near disastrous event ?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Recall numbers are Y26 and Y36. There's a go/no-go gauge to check if the studs are stretched. Dealership replaces as necessary and uses an updated torque spec.

Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Maybe even under torqued. Duallies are not the same as a car. There is no angled shoulder on the wheel nut to located the rim. They have an attached washer and it's just sandwiching 2 wheels against the hub.

This is not a job for the DIY'er. Even AAA is not supposed to change a rear dually flat. This is a job that is supposed to be done by a licensed mechanic.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Per the photo I'm thinking the obvious that whatever shop that was, would be one you would not want to return to. Starting out as ASE alignment mechanic for one place, we had a top of the line new Hunter Rack. Theoretically it would handle 1/2 ton to one ton trucks.... Yeah..., not so much. A full size dually is not a typical every day sedan and only needs to be with folks that know what they are doing.

At first blush I would say untrained person that did not follow a torque pattern as well as just hammering on with gun on full. Then reading the other items such as recall tech sheets... Sounds like boss was very fortunate.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Recall numbers are Y26 and Y36. There's a go/no-go gauge to check if the studs are stretched. Dealership replaces as necessary and uses an updated torque spec.
Shame on Dodge, Ram, Fiat or whomever makes this stuff if they manufacture a wheel stud/lug not combination that doesn't snap or strip the lug nut threads when over torqued at time of torquing.

Broken wheel studs in my world are from being loose.

To determine if it's the issue that Driven is indicating in those service bulletins or what I usually see, the evidence is not shown in this photo. Need to see both sides of the wheel, the pilot engagement surface and the hub/studs.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I will pass this info on to boss thank you

Reactions: 1 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Shame on Dodge, Ram, Fiat or whomever makes this stuff if they manufacture a wheel stud/lug not combination that doesn't snap or strip the lug nut threads when over torqued at time of torquing.

Broken wheel studs in my world are from being loose.

To determine if it's the issue that Driven is indicating in those service bulletins or what I usually see, the evidence is not shown in this photo. Need to see both sides of the wheel, the pilot engagement surface and the hub/studs.
The truck is now repaired I’m not sure if he saved old parts for evidence or not
I’ll ask him today

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
How you ask?

must be aliens.jpg

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor