What Got You Into G-Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
My passion fot the "G" body actually started with the "A" body's back in the 80's then as time went on and the "A" body's were scarce i was kinda forced to put my motors in "G" body's. My first car was a 1977 Pontiac G.P , then a 1972 G.P with a 455 (i love the big old sleds) then i switched to the "G" body's , a 1980 G.P with a s/b Chevy 350, then i found my current car a 1984 G.P with a Chevy 305 motor (which i quickly swapped with my Pontiac 455) that i bought in 1990 and still own and drive today!!
but if you ask me,,,, the "A" body's were built way stronger and they used thicker sheet metal for the fender's, hood, doors, quarters etc......
but they were heavier and my G.P is alot faster than it was in the 77 G.P!!

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
The first car I drove in driver's ed was an '86 Bonneville G, and when I took auto mechanics in high school in the late '80's all the cars we worked on were donated flood damaged G bodies. I just took what I started with and am still continuing it :D I've always liked these cars for their relative mechanical simplicity, durability, and classic RWD appeal. They really are time capsules compared to cars today, and I have more fun driving the G bodies as most new cars are just pieces of hard plastic that truly lack in the personality department. It's fun for me to be able to take the jump back in to the late 70's/early 80's whenever I want to.

-UT-

iam2fast4u86

Greasemonkey
Jan 8, 2009
SE Ohio
I guess it all started for me when I was about 7. Our neighbor had a Monte SS and I thought that car was the best car I had ever seen. The n when I was about 10 my step father built two 1978-79 t-top Monte's. I loved those cars! I had forgotten all about them when I started driving and went into a 1967-68 Firebird craze. Just after I turned 18 I came across a deal on a 1978 and 1979 Monte. The guy wanted to trade me both for my non-running rust bucket Firebird and they both ran/drove! I had a flash back and did the deal. I sold the 78 which was a v6 bench seat brown on tan-yuck. I kept the 79 350 factory buckets, console, burgundy ext on maroon int. I have since had many G-bodies but have become partial to the 1980 Buick Regal. I am on my second one. Silver ext grey int, 403 Olds Eng work in progress. By the way, I always took joy in pulling those 5.slow boys in a boat with all power options.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
No real long story for me..shortly after I married we bought a one year old 86 Cutlass Supreme 2dr fully loaded for the wife to drive. It was a doctors car and was absolutly mint. I had always driven a truck of some sort (prairie thing I guess). Well lots of cars and trucks came and went. Fast forward to 2004 I'm getting tired of driving a truck (not sure why.... I was driving a lowered full size 80 Blazer with a 383 in it) when I figure it was time to get back to the Gbody platform again, bought a fully loaded 81 Malibu Landau, and haven't looked back since. I think I had 5 or so of em here at one time.

Regal8601

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 10, 2008
FL
When I first started getting interested in cars around 14 years old, my best friend and I would walk up to the gas station religiously every Friday and pick up the new issue of auto trader, mainly to look at newer Mustang 5.0's and Z-28's, but since those were out of our reach financially, g-bodies started to look like a really good alternative.

At the time, g-bodies were dime-a-dozen; many of our neighbors had one and there were still plenty of them on the road. We wanted to be a little more unique and not just another G-body owner, so I ended up getting a 76 Monte Carlo and later a 70 Malibu. My best friend got an 83 Coupe Deville and a couple other Cadillacs after that.

But I couldn't resist the temptation and soon after high school, I got my first g-body - a 1987 Cutlass Supreme 2 door with the 307.

I reluctantly sold it over money woes when I was 21, but vowed to get another one eventually. Fast forward 8 years and I now own a 1986 Regal Limited with the same corporate 307. Now I love g-bodies even more than the 5.0 Mustangs I lusted after when I was 14. Hopefully one day...I will own a Grand National :)

First G-Body:
2868852595_2a0b5be179.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I was about 13 when my dad noticed that i loved taking things apart and seeing how they worked. Even though i didn't put them back together ... :lol: When i was about 16 he told me about some Montes and to go look at them i liked them especially the 78 cuz it had the moonroof. The 80 monte he bought me was was quickly sold to another buddy cuz i messed up big time. He has always liked Montes and GP's So he went out and bought himself a 79 GP ,White with a baby blue interior that he drove for a while till he told me if i wanted it i would have to buy it from him this time. So i slaved away for 2 years before i bought it....literally. I worked my *ss off!! I got it and fixed it up nicely with OG supremes and detailed as much as i could. I had it looking nice.. I met my ex in it and countless other ckicks. It was like a old school lowrider. Man that thing was fresh!! I eventually sold it cuz it was on its Second rear, second trans and third engine. All cuz of me driving it like crap. But that car was clean and sexy. So my friend bought my 85 GP and put some Centerlines on it and it looked BADASS... So a few years went by and i was missing my GP. My buddy came to visit me and i showed him my sound system that i had just bought. He liked my amp so much he offered to buy it. It had cost me bout 500 bucks so i asked about his car. He had sold it to a cousin who sold it to another cousin but they never paid my buddy. He still had the title in his name!! It didn't have the centerlines but oh well, So we traded and i dragged my Baby home!! I have had my car for about nine years now and barely started to finally work on it . I has been with me for so long that it finally deserves some care. And to boot i bought back the amp a couple years later for 50 bucks. It recently blew up but i think it was worth it for my car. My buddy still offers to buy it back but not right now i keep telling him.. I am 28 and really love these cars cuz they are simplistic and can look good as lowriders or muscle cars and i like both styles..I Would eventually like to have one from every division such as the GN,SS. Hurst 442, 2+2. I know i am greedy.. So i will keep plugging away on my car for now.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
From the time I was 13, (48 now) everything in my life revolved around motorcycles. I've had them all, Harleys, rice rockets, singles, motocrossers and everything in between. About ten years ago I got into honda 900F spencer replica type bikes and that was my main hobby.

Recently, the pain from old injuries have gotten much worse and I had a leg amputated to help. It was then I thought it might be best to get involved in cars. I went to the drags and fell in love with the smell and sound! I was hooked in a big way. Unfortunately my budget was pretty small and my first g body was an 81 malibu with minimal rust but dents all around and only a touch of paint left on the body. Did I mention the leaky windows and Godawfull interior? I figured when I was well enough I'd fix her up, cause everytime I took her up and down the road I smiled from ear to ear! I love RWD!

After taking inventory I decided I was better off selling that one and finding a better one. I sold my best bike too and pooled the money for my 84 cutty cream puff. I've only gotten to drive her that first day, 200 miles, since the snows started falling, but already I'm trying to decide what power plant I should be replacing the six with. I just picked up a 442 rear for it and maybe the low gears will allow me to have fun with it the way it is, and then I can go back to hacking up a malibu!

Honestly, I'm into G bodies cause they're by far the cheapest way into a RWD platform, and they can look absolutely badass. They're light, and they hook. My greatest dream would be to have a car that wheelies. I may have to have a dedicated car for that however, which would be fine. The only problem I'm running into is how much freakin room these things take up! I have 6 bikes on one side of the garage! Buying extra bikes for parts or restoring was easy, buying extra cars....not so easy! 8)

hp3445

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Southern New Jersey
I always liked the Buick GN style and Olds Cutlass...
I came across two Regals in a lady's yard and inquired about them..
She told me to "take them!" so for the cost of DMV paperwork and a tow.. I was the owner of two 86 Buick Regals! I gutted both and made one car.. and scrapped the bad one. total basket case!!

Now it is being worked on next to my Mustang. I figured I can have the rivals run against each other shortly.. The stang is about 600+ HP... The Regal will be outfitted with a BBC and a 6-71 or 8-71... I'm still in the thinking stage..

I'll keep everyone updated...

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
1971 and 1972 cutlasses got me in to g bodies. I love cutlasses and owned a 1971 and then later 1972 and both were just too much money to fix. So I sold my 1972 for $2500 and found a great deal on 86 cutlass for only $1000 and instantly got to put $1500 in to my car with out worrying about rusted floor pans, leaking gas tank and etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor