What Got You Into G-Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hujass

Apprentice
Jun 24, 2008
N Dakota
These cars were all over when I was a kid so there was that influence. But the car that got me lusting after G-bodies was seeing my first Grand National in person back in about 1985. But it doesn't matter if it's a Monte, Regal, Cutlass, Malibu or Grand Prix, the body style was classic the day it was designed. It's understandable that these cars were the top sellers back in the day, what's not to love? It took me until 2008 to finally buy one, but its not a GN....isn't that a b*tch? :lol:

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
When I was delivering pizza, I noticed this car sitting in a field for sale. I was on my way back from a delivery so I decided to take a look at it. It was an 86 Cutlass with bucket seats, floor shifter, rally gauges, two door. I just loved how it looked, and how it had all of the options that I liked. Overall it looked like a nice car, so I decided to give the owner a call. We set up a time so I could look at it and I decided I needed to get this. I had to get a loan for it because I had no money saved up, so it took some time. I called the guy up saying that I wanted to buy it, and he said someone else was interested and I needed a deposit. I got over there as fast as I could and gave him a hundred bucks. A few day later I gave him the cash and drove it off.

The only bad thing wrong with the car is that the engine had a knock and no oil pressure. I figured, oh well, just a reason to get a new engine into it. I drove it like 4 or 5 thousand miles like that and it never gave me problems. I am now in the process of completing my Olds 350 swap. I cant wait till it gets back on the road!!

GP John

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
Ohio
I have been a Grand Prix fan since the 60's and so it was natural for me to have owned a 74, 81, and 86 GP. I have owned many cars but the GP has always been a favorite. When I read about the G Body being discontinued and replace with front wheel drive I updated my 81 to the 86 v8 car with the intention of keeping it forever and to this day I have.

I am paying for a couple other cars at the moment but some time in the future I want to add a 74-77 GP to my cars. I think they are about the best looking cars ever built.

I should add that when you look at what was available in the 80's the G body was a no brainer.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
I've always liked the Monte SS and the GNX and started looking for a G body to make my own. There are things on both cars I would do different.

My Uncles brother offered me an '80 Cutlass that should prove as a great base to start from for my project.

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
when i was 10 my uncle used to have a beautiful 85 regal since then i started liking them and my older friends had monte carlos and cutlass's, then when i was 19 my cousin bought an 86 monte ss, when i saw it it was like love at first sight. I told my cousin if you ever sell it tell me first, and thats when i bought my first G-Body

SV6 REGAL

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2006
Ont Canada
A friend of mine had a 1980 Monte Carlo and his parents had a couple Cutlass's,cheap to buy and look after.My first was a 1981 Malibu 229v6 3spd manual(Iraqi taxi) drove it a while with the v6 replace it with a mild 350 put in a bell tech suspension and 15x7 steels with dog caps ended up selling i couldn't afford it anymore,got hooked on Civics and now I have the buick.I always liked the old Monte SS.All the stuff you can do with them now and the parts they have for them,I wish they had all that much stuff for them back in the day.

saganhill1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2009
When I was 17 my Dad bought a 1980 Pontiac GP. The same one in my picture gallery. He drove it and stored it in the winters and when he went to sell it back in 1992, I bought it for 800 bucks. It still had the original Buick 231 V6.

I did a partial frame off resto back in 94. The reason I choose this car was at the time, and this still holds true, everyone was building Camaros, T/A's, Mustangs and the like. I wanted something that looked very different.

I got a crate 355 chevy with a Holly, Hookers, corvette Almum heads, Edlebrock intake, roller rockers for centerbolt heads, a built TH350 with kit, SS drive Shaft to a Moser 9inch Rear end with 4 wheel disc.

I shaved and monochromed the body. Reupolstered the interior, new AM gauges, Hurst Shifter, AR-Torque Thrust rims. Hotchkiss front end with 79 Camaro 12 inch rotors and calipers. Rear Hotchkiss trailing arms. All new POly bushings. Swapped the rest of the braking system with a camaro that had 4wheel disc. After I heat the tires it hooks hard. I need another 100HP to take advantage of the rear posi.

Its a fun car to drive and I smoke any ricer in my area.

Now I will pass it down to my son when he can learn to appreciate it.

nasty187

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2009
Where to start lets see,16 had a 79 el camino with a 305 2barrel 4.10 posi,turbo 350 was a tow package model first car/ truck,beat the living piss out of it $450bucks.Found a 78 regal$200 bucks at 17 with bad trans with 3.8,put trans in drove till 18.18 found a 79 sport coupe without motor or trans$500 bucks.Put a built 355 in it.Buddy smashed it up for me no insurance,pulled motor,trans, junked it.Found a 82 regal rust bucket FREE no motor trans,trans put motor trans in it drove it a year.Found a 78 grand prix lj,blown motor$200 bucks.Was going to swap all in this car guy offered my *440 bucks for a car I payed $300 sold it.Went car less for week or two.Found a 84 buick with rod knocking 6 $150 obo paid $100,blew it up driving it on the trailer lol.Put rust free doors on from florida,a chevy 302DZ in it,big stall billet wheels,8.5 rearend drove it 5 years,raced it hear and there,ran mid 12's Sold it for $10,000.But still came back to everyone of these G bodies was not the Gn .
I was 11 years old when my father took my to the track and i saw a stock Gn spank vettes,mustangs and modded ones were taken out other prey.So after all this I waited 12 years ,Yes 12 years to buy a stock Gn not raced,low mileage gn.Just so I could race it and mod it...

My daughter is a bug fan but we have talked about using a g body drive train under a bug shell.I have a a whole extra frame,and suspension that may just get wacked up for the bug.And a gn will motor/trans combo will be the power plant... :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor