What is everyone's favorite G body model and why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I agree... Also I am usually not a fan of white lettered tires but they just belong on this car. View attachment 61339

That place has some clean G bodies. I like black wall tires on aftermarket low profile rims but to me the SSII's don't look right without raised white letters.
The old Dunlop GT Qualifier tires had an awesome tread and just looked like a performance tire. Too bad they are no longer made:(. I love the white letter tires on muscle cars with fancy factory rims, I think my 70S look darn good with 88 aluminum rims and white letter radial T/A's. My favorite is the 83 Hurst/Olds with gray interior and T tops, 84 Hurst/Olds with the red leather and sunroof, 85 442 white exterior and gray interior and a 87 442 with Forest green, lower gray exterior and gray interior. I wish Olds would have built the FE3X concept or at least added the ram air hood, headers, Y pipe and cat to the 442 to make the 307 HO more respectable in the power department.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Still kinda wish I would have gone Aurora V8 on mine just for the novelty of it but liking the big block just fine. And, had it not been like $12K with the complete conversion I might have. $6K for the big block and there's no replacement for um . . . I forget the rest.

Well, I think I do. Been so long since I've actually driven it, I am starting to forget that too . . . need to fix that!

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
My favorite is the the 1987 T-Top 442
t-tops-442-package-air-conditioning-two-tone-paint-excellent-condition-2.jpg

I like it in every color it came in too. I think it's the best looking G-Body with the Euro lights, T-Top roof, bucket seats, console shiftier, Rally Pack Gauges and it came with 3.73s. I like most all of the G-Body Cutlasses, not the biggest fan of the grilles on the 78-80 Supreme but I like the Calais grill from that time. Sure the 307 is ho-hum compared to the Mustang 5.0 of the time, or even the TPI 350 L98 in the Camaro but an engine swap for an Olds 350 or 403 is pretty straight forward. Even stock I still prefer it over a 5.0 or 3rd Gen.

I really like the unpopular rarities too like the 1978/79 Cutlass Calais 4spd:
1978-cutlass-calais-factory-4-speed-t-top-car-1-of-7-made-6.jpg

79-olds-cutlass-calais-a-true-442-extremely-rare-g-body-1.jpg

When I was in High School in the 90s I really wanted a G-body badly as they were plentiful and cheap at the time, but living in Rural New England a Jeep made a lot more sense. I did have a few buddies that had G-bodies and I think spending all that time around them back then set the hook. 3rd Gen Camaros and Trans-Ams were more flashy but there was something subtle about the G-bodies that just screamed tough without being too flashy.

I definitely still like the Malibu:
20644090006_large.jpg

These weren't as plentiful as Montes & Regals where I grew up but my neighbor had a black one for years. Real basic interiors but the exterior proportions of this car just look right.

and the 81-88 Monte Carlos (The SS trim is least favorite exterior of all the trim lines though). The rears of the 78-80 cars look too droopy but the grill looks tougher to me.
1984-monte-carlo-very-nice-one-owner-car-116k-miles-bucket-seat-console-1.JPG

Buddy of mine had a silver one just like the one above (no vinyl top and had the rally wheels too). He got rid of it for a 2wd S-10 :doh:

Obviously the GNX, Grand National and T-Type were the "best" of their day, and while I do love all of those cars, I don't really want to own one today. They are collector cars and to modify one with drive train swaps and suspensions mods it'd be a shame to do that. Putting LSx's in Malibus only increases their worth, while doing the same to a GN would just make most people cringe... I also want to be able to drive my car without having to worry about stone chips or dings. The ability to build these cars into fast street machines on a budget is really what still has me interested in them after all these years. So many parts are available to do stuff like LS swaps, crazy SBO Diesel block strokers, suspension upgrades and even T-56 conversions.

Reactions: 4 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Pontiac grand Prix because it's a Pontiac, but it needs a Pontiac motor, possibly a lsx

MYFINE79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2009
Brampton, Ontario. CANADA
Yes I also like the Pontiac GrandPrix SJ model. Mine is mostly original. Pontiac always had the best interiors. Mine is Black on black. Black landau roof, Black leather interior with viscount bucket seats. Whats not to like. Still have the original 301, & THM 200 transmission.

Reactions: 1 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
81-87 Buick Regals/Grand National/GNX /T-Type
79 Olds Hurst white/gold
81-88 Olds Cutlass
It was the summer of 87 I was 7years old
My dad and I were going some where could of been a car show drive in place called Dukes and I was sitting shot gun in a 84 GMC Suburban and we were first in line in the left lane and a GN pulled up in the right lane and when the light turned green that GN took off smoking the tires and left two dark marks on the street and I wanted one ever since but the prices of them were crazy when I turned 15/16 cause all I had was 2k for a car and they were 5k to 10k so Dec of 96 I bought my 83 regal and still have it. One day I'll get my GN but when I get the GN itch I take a ride by my buddy's and he has a GNX I take it for a rip around the block and it fill my needs till next time lol. And as for the Olds Hurst neighbor kid had one and thought it was bad *ss looking.and for the 81-88 cutlass a kid in high school had a 83 with a olds 455 in 442 maroon paint scheme and we raced when I was running a small block olds 350 he beet me so that's when I started to build my bbo then years later went to a bbc for more racing I was doing at the time.

Reactions: 1 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Yes I also like the Pontiac GrandPrix SJ model. Mine is mostly original. Pontiac always had the best interiors. Mine is Black on black. Black landau roof, Black leather interior with viscount bucket seats. Whats not to like. Still have the original 301, & THM 200 transmission.
Mine is a sj black with black interior, cloth seats and factory 4 speeds and T-tops mostly original including paint and the 301

Reactions: 1 user

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
  1. '83-'84 H/O Cutlass
  2. '85-'87 442 Cutlass
  3. '86-'87 T-type Regal
  4. '87 MCSS
I'm partial to the G-body Cutlass since it was my first car ever. I've already had an '87 MCSS, and I'd love to have a grey '86-'87 turbo Regal someday.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I always loved the GNX and GN. Ever since i was a kid. But never could afford one. But had an old friend that had a 78 malibu coupe. and fell in love. When i was 27 i bought my first gbody. a 78 malibu coupe. sold it for a down payment on a house about a year later. fast forward 4 years i bought a 78 malibu wagon. Always been a wagon guy and never owned one so figured id have best of both worlds. a gbody wagon. So far i love it. One day ill own a GNX or a GN.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Malibu coupe. Had a '79 V6 three speed base model. Blue on blue on blue. Don't miss the hot vinyl seats though.
Bought from original owner, beat the everloving snot out of it. It never broke, never not started, ran it till it rusted away in Maine.
Brother had a '79 Regal 3.8 factory 4 speed with blood red Naugahide interior. I beat on that one too.....
Buddy had a '78 Malibu Classic 4 door with a 305 4 speed. Never seen another one of those. Fun car, a bit of a sleeper too. Gotta remember this was when a Z-28 with 190hp was a "hot car":D

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor