what is the charcol canistar there for really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Card

Apprentice
Jan 5, 2013
i relised my canistar wasnt hooked up to anything so i put it in the trunk. along with all my AC stuff. do i really need it in the first place? i have already got rid of all the smog crap and put on a holley 350 2bbl carb.

It filters some fuel vapors or some sh*t like that... One line goes to the tank (vapor line) and another goes up to the carb. If you got rid of the Smog stuff you don't need it.

I de-smogged my camino and left it, it doesn't rob any horsepower and keeps the smell of raw gas away. Although you really don't need it.

This is why-http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22444&hilit=+charcoal+cannister#.UOoIvKzY2Ck
beat_deadhorse.gif

The charcoal canister collects vapor caused by fuel evaporation in the fuel tank and carburetor float bowl and isn't vented into the atmosphere, it is transfered instead to the engine compartment by a vapor line and fed into the running engine, or stored in an activated charcoal accumulator (the canister) when the engine isn't running... It doesn't cost the engine horsepower or fuel mileage (just helps keep the air we breath clean!,,,,as does the PCV system!).

Doug

No sweat Doug. But this part is key- " It doesn't cost the engine horsepower or fuel mileage (just helps keep the air we breath clean!,,,,as does the PCV system!)." As much as I too like a clean engine compartment, the canister is not some junk to be tossed. I wish someone would market a chrome or billet version, then these same guys would be showing them off! :rofl:

Bonnewagon said:
No sweat Doug. But this part is key- " It doesn't cost the engine horsepower or fuel mileage (just helps keep the air we breath clean!,,,,as does the PCV system!)." As much as I too like a clean engine compartment, the canister is not some junk to be tossed. I wish someone would market a chrome or billet version, then these same guys would be showing them off! :rofl:

Note to self, make chrome and billet charcoal canisters for profit... 8)

thanks guys. id hook it back up but my holley only has 1 port and thats for the fuel in tube. guess it stays off. wonder if i can get a small enough chrome filter to put on the vapor line.

Bonnewagon said:
I wish someone would market a chrome or billet version, then these same guys would be showing them off! :rofl:

Sounds like a good new thread to start!!! How to be legal and still have a clean engine compartment! :idea:

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor