what is the original fan diameter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfcvdv

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2010
Noord holland, the netherlands
hey guys,

I am going to do something that not many people have ever done; converting my dual electric fan setup back to the stock mechenical fan with clutch. I lately lost trust in the electric setup since i replaced a thermo switch twice and a relay once. i also believe that the original fan has the best cooling capacity.

I still have my original fan shroud for my '79 Regal but I threw away the fan and clutch. I measured the shroud hole diameter and it turned out to be 21" (only measured horizontally). after that i searched on summit for an aftermarket clutch fan. but 19" is the biggest diameter i found. (a flex-a-lite)

Now I am not sure which diameter to go with since I thought that those 19" fans are for trucks. does anybody know what is the appropriate diameter?

thanks alot.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If I'm not mistaken, the mechanical fan diameter is in the 18-18.5" range. I replaced my original fan with a 7-blade fan from a Monte Carlo SS and replaced the clutch with a new HD thermal Hayden unit.
I was also going to go electric, but decided to keep it old school.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I belive Mikes Monties sells the fan clutch. I think I saw it there in his EBay store the other day.

pfcvdv

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2010
Noord holland, the netherlands
18" would be more likely then. is there a difference between the flex-a-lite fans and the OEM?

I have to keep in mind that the store can ship it to other countries (i live in holland). so summit/jegs would be the easiest solution for me but they dont sell the real OEM stuff.

tkruger thanks for the tip tough. will search for it.

Thanks

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I like the stock fan and I don't plan on taking it off until it fails but when that happens I wanted the electric fan. It definitely cools people I know with similar cars as mine at least 10 - 15 extra degrees on a hot day w hard driving and that really adds up over time. There is some other variable wrong with your electronics or you got a bad fan setup / thermostat or radiator / bad ground, something else going on there. Even a bad battery or loose radiator cap can cost you a few degrees or lost coolant. You may soon notice the reason no one orders the newer fan set-ups is strictly because of their poor / inconsistent manufacturing quality. I held a rusty fan I was about to throw away in one hand newer fan in the other and the original fan was much heavier, even yellow with rust it still weighed significantly more so I ended up sending it back. I don't want to go so far as to say it was 'bad' because I didn't even have the willingness to give the product a try but if I order a OEM part I dont expect perfect copy but I do want close to original not a pos fan with inferior quality such as an rv or mobile home would have in it. That's the problem w/ some of the newer fans they suck. I really don't remember what brand it was either but it was so bad like a cheap barbecue grille from wal mart bad I sent it back immediately. I believe I just did the clutch and ended up re-using the rusty yellow stock one on that car actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor