What is this for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
What does the electrical gadget inside this trim piece control?

CIMG2376.jpg

cutty651

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2011
Minnesota
its ECM Electronic Controll Module It Controls Ur Carb/fuel mix and distributer its the brain or computer of u r car so dont mess wit it its real touchy unit if u dont want it u have to get a pre 1980 carb and dist. that aint computer run and the ecm"s are in v8 model and v6 so be carefull on engine swaps cause they difer ecm"S from what i gather anyways hope it helps clarify things

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
pontiacgp said:
or are you talking about the relay in behind the ECM
Dunno, just saw wires going into what looks like an old school cpu hard drive. Didnt really pry into it, the wires are pretty snug.

cutty651 said:
its ECM Electronic Controll Module It Controls Ur Carb/fuel mix and distributer its the brain or computer of u r car so dont mess wit it its real touchy unit if u dont want it u have to get a pre 1980 carb and dist. that aint computer run and the ecm"s are in v8 model and v6 so be carefull on engine swaps cause they difer ecm"S from what i gather anyways hope it helps clarify things

jd20102011 said:
yea its your computer i took mean out because i have a 350 from a 79 camero Z28

Iswapped out the 307 for a 350 and have all aftermarket stuff w/out emmissions stuff hooked up. So I could possibly toss this??

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If you have the non-computer controlled carburetor and an old HEI style distribtor (or any other aftermarket distributor setup) you can remove the computer and all the wiring coming from the unit.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
RITTER said:
If you have the non-computer controlled carburetor and an old HEI style distribtor (or any other aftermarket distributor setup) you can remove the computer and all the wiring coming from the unit.
Sweet...in regards to the relay brought up by pontiacgp, this is of no concern to me since I don't have a computer controlled carb or dist?

87regalkid

Apprentice
May 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I only think that it is related to pollution control because mine was removed for my sbc350 engine swap. Just left with a bunch of pointless wires to hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor