What I’ve learned about Gbodys

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldwys

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2020
Owned mine since last Thanksgiving. Bought an 85 442. It was in my price range and no rust. Never owned one before.

What I’ve learned.

1.A lot of little quirks on these cars/Oldsmobile
2.80s transition- Emissions car but trying to be old school.
3. People love seeing these cars out in public.
3. Wide range of ages and cultures love these cars.
4. Owners think their car is worth gold since it’s getting rare to find any.
5. People ask too much for rust buckets
6. Hard to sell because people try to undervalue these cars. Which is complete opposite thinking/mentality if they own one.

Reactions: 10 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Correct on all 6 points . 4,5,&6 are making our choice of vehicles a PITA. You rarely find sensible people weather buying or selling. People selling act like they have 60s Corvette fuel injection factory items for sale. When buying they think they should be paying below a Pic-a-part yard. I have to laugh when sellers say RARE, 99% of the time is due to the fact that people didn’t want what ever is for sale when it was new. Along that line of thought a YUGO should be worth a fortune.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Don't forget this one- repro parts are far and few between comparatively to the older iron (and 1/2 or the time or more they're super-sucky in quality)

Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Yep. Found this to be very true.
I’m finding this out REPEATEDLY as I’m putting my stash of new aftermarket parts in/on my car. The other day it was the weatherstripping fit SO BAD it wouldn’t let the door close. Now today I’m putting the interior together. I purchased new PUI sunvisors, 1st they sent me 2 left side ones. The attachment screw shouldn’t be seen in the up position. 2nd, they won’t fit on the mounting arms. Neither the originals nor the new AM ones I bought. These companies promise how great they’re quality parts are and charge accordingly. Only turning out to be garbage. Then when you complain they say “ well it is an aftermarket part “. The bad part is OE parts that I need wouldn’t be any good being 42 years old.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Here’s another example I just ran across. Both clips are SUPPOSED TO BE for the rear interior upper window metal moulding in an El Camino. They came from 2 different companies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I purchased new PUI sunvisors, 1st they sent me 2 left side ones. The attachment screw shouldn’t be seen in the up position. 2nd, they won’t fit on the mounting arms
I bought some PUI burgundy visors for my Regal and had the same issue, the nylon shaft bushing is way to small to fit the factory mount I ended up using the ones from my factory visors to fix the issue

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
images (1).png

Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I've learned that for every 10 complete, successful, and smooth LS swaps, there are 150 others trying to beat it in with a big rock while scratching their *ss trying to figure out how the other 150,000 have been done.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor