What kind of quadrajet should I be looking for??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the help everyone.

BILL DEMMER

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2008
the best of the above wold be 1705x25x
where the first x is the model year '75-'79
and the second x is the application.

you'll want to avoid the california emissions carbs. which are numbered 1705x55x, the 5 in the 6th position denotes california emissions. these will require more modification with your combo. and parts are harder to find for them.

in any event, you're probably going to need to recalibrate the carb. for your application.

the 1705x20x models-the 0 denotes chevy engines. could make more work for yourself than necessary.

avoid the 1705858x's these are special application carbs.

bill

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I just won the carb I wanted on ebay. I hope it was a good choice for 35 bucks. Here is the number, 17057253. Please let me know if I got a good one, it came off a 77 olds 350. It should be the same one that was originally on the engine I have now. :D :D

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
When you get it, make sure the primary throttle shaft is tight in the baseplate. If not, you will have to have a carb shop drill and bush it or the car will never have a stable idle.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
When you get it, make sure the primary throttle shaft is tight in the baseplate. If not, you will have to have a carb shop drill and bush it or the car will never have a stable idle.

Ok, I will do that. Thanks for the info. Hopefully it isnt, it supposedly has been sitting around for years. Hopefully all it needs is a rebuild.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The first Q-Jet I had came from a neighbor's garbage pile, and it had the worn shaft issue. It was an Olds style carb, so I changed it to a $30 Chevy carb instead. Anyhow, the idle would vary by about 500 RPM's every time you let the throttle close. You never knew where it would hit the idle speed stop and couldn't set the idle because of this. It took me 4 months to find the carb I got, but it was a fresh rebuild with good shafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor