what made YOU love long roofs?? let us know. post pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
slowgn said:
I really never thought much of them. Then a friend of mine bought one. Stripped out, shaved rear door handles and snarley 350. Sucker was pretty quick. Started working for a speed shop here in the minneapolis area and the car evolved to a big block powered, caged and mini tubbed drag car that he drives on the street also. Through him i met another guy that had a wagon also that was built by the same shop (both guys worked there). Long story short, i hated these wagons but they grew on me. So it turned out my friend had another wagon laying around with a blowed up v6, bougt for 400 bucks. Its not driving yet but i have fun with it so far.

Welcome aboard!
I think the guy with the tubbed and caged wagon you're referring to is John (5-door). I've seen videos of him driving that car on the street pulling wheelies. The other wagon is a buddy of his..forgot his name. It's a blue wagon though,,,nice ride.
Post some pics of your project. We love pics here. :wink:

slowgn

n00b
Aug 31, 2012
Minnesota
Welcome aboard!
I think the guy with the tubbed and caged wagon you're referring to is John (5-door). I've seen videos of him driving that car on the street pulling wheelies. The other wagon is a buddy of his..forgot his name. It's a blue wagon though,,,nice ride.
Post some pics of your project. We love pics here. :wink:[/quote]

Thanks, i put pics in the wagons thread. Yea i did not want to name drop five doors name. Ireally dont know him that well. Nice guy though. I got to see his car being built when my buddies was. My buddy dan, his wagon isnt blue although i have seen that one before. The one im talking about is flat black with a white top. Side note, pic up the latest car craft, five door is on the cover

GRIFF442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
87 GN said:
The Grand National drive train made me love mine.

9.jpg

3828989594_c4dd079b82_b.jpg

Not the best quality but you get the idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmVuWO6I9QE
Mine too!!!!!! :D

Attachments

• 83 Wagon 013.jpg
    83 Wagon 013.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 799

GRIFF442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
Coral Springs, Florida
I grew up in my parents 81 Cutlass wagon, and have always liked them. Later I ended up heavy into El Caminos and Grand nationals which was going well until my son was born. Wife said I needed something more "kid friendly", was not about to buy a minivan or SUV so bought my 83 malibu wagon. Wife said "not what she had in mind", but I think it is growing on her and we enjoy taking it to car shows and hangin with friends :D plus I am always the only one at said shows with a Malibu wagon.......

688guy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2013
Noob here...For me it was growing up in the 60's when everyone had a wagon, just reminds me of the good ol' days. I traveled the length of Route 66 twice in a 57 Chevy wagon, we even lost our cat at the Grand Canyon when he escaped. Growing up mostly in So Cal and 55-57 Nomads were everywhere, almost traded my 63 Bug for a 55 Nomad in 73 'cause the guy wanted better gas mileage, but his girlfriend nixed the idea. Had a 66 Chevelle wagon with 283, auto and factory AC. I bought an 83 Malibu wagon from the original owner about 10 years ago for $1,200 and my wife nearly divorced me over it, but she eventually came around and agreed that it turned out nice. I sold it and after trading hands a few times it's been rusting away in a field a few miles from here now. Looking for another one now...

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/pictures/1983_Chevrolet_Malibu.jpg

olishooter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2012
Toronto,Canada
my dad had a 1980 pontiac grand lemans and i always loved that car. i finally found one after years of searching.my wagon is a 1983 grand lemans but close enough to my dads. i am just finishing my LM7 swap with a fresh stock color paint job sitting as low as i can go with lowering springs. i have always said wagons are the best thing on the road.

Attachments

• saab 266.jpg
    saab 266.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 552
  • saab 268.jpg
    saab 268.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 547
  • saab 267.jpg
    saab 267.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 562

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
olishooter said:
my dad had a 1980 pontiac grand lemans and i always loved that car. i finally found one after years of searching.my wagon is a 1983 grand lemans but close enough to my dads. i am just finishing my LM7 swap with a fresh stock color paint job sitting as low as i can go with lowering springs. i have always said wagons are the best thing on the road.
Welcome aboard! Looks like a super nice Grand Lemans wagon. The LM7 swap looks very nice as well. Could you tell us more about the car?
Thanks for posting.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's a great looking car, but the nose looks like my 83' Bonneville. :?:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
That's a great looking car, but the nose looks like my 83' Bonneville. :?:

That's exactly what I thought, Mark. Were the late (82-'83) Grand Lemans wagons using the Bonneville header panel, or could it be a Canadian model?

olishooter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2012
Toronto,Canada
thank you for having me on this site and believe me this site provides great info for your build. I added some original pics of the wagon. when i first got it i completely stripped the interior and exterior and cleaned up the floors and fixed the two small holes i had. Great shape being that it is a Canadian car. it was completely undercoating for years so it keep the underbody looking like new. I had the wagon painted the original color and installed the original interior. I thought id drive it with the original 3.8l but it quickly failed with low oil pressure. I installed a completely rebuilt 5.3l from a 04 suburban ( i had replaced this engine and i keep the core) i added a corvette camshaft and with all new guts and new gaskets. The list of parts for the build is long but it fit great and it sounds even better. i have the exhaust to finish and i am also replacing the gas tank. I plan on ripping the tires off the rims and scaring the neighbors. i have lots of knowledge to share about the build if anyone is interested. thanks for all your help. it is a canadian car but you guys are right the nose looks like a bonneville. its hard to find this wagons here in the great white north.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 7.57.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 7.57.10 PM.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 467
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 7.57.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 7.57.22 PM.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 456
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 7.57.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-27 at 7.57.33 PM.png
    454.6 KB · Views: 455
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor