What muffler(s) are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the price and sound quality those welded thrush are bad *ss. im using those now. ive had purple hornies, and cherry bombs on that car and it was a little to loud, my friend set up is almost the same as mine. same cam except he has diff set of headers, running with 2 chamber flows and the sound is alike neithere of us can tell the difference between the flows and thrush. i used magna flows a few months back on it and it was to quiet for me.

Bumpin1ohmSS said:
That's a SB 350 with Doug's headers, Pypes "X" Change cross pipe out to the Thrush SS Welded's. They stop just before the rear end. I need some turn downs cuz it resonates big time in the cabin. Doesnt bother me. I drove all the way to and from Arizona (1000 mile round trip) and loved every bit of it. Sounds like it means biz..

Warren 8)

Warren how are you getting so much resonation/drone with an x pipe?
I've got an x pipe w/ the thrush's and they hardly have any drone, just good sound, Mind you, my exhaust goes all the way back too..

Cant really see anything but heres an idle sound clip of mine

joey_schel said:
Bumpin1ohmSS said:
That's a SB 350 with Doug's headers, Pypes "X" Change cross pipe out to the Thrush SS Welded's. They stop just before the rear end. I need some turn downs cuz it resonates big time in the cabin. Doesnt bother me. I drove all the way to and from Arizona (1000 mile round trip) and loved every bit of it. Sounds like it means biz..

Warren 8)

Warren how are you getting so much resonation/drone with an x pipe?
I've got an x pipe w/ the thrush's and they hardly have any drone, just good sound, Mind you, my exhaust goes all the way back too..

That right there is the key.

I'm running Magnaflows with the 2.5in pypes x-pipe system.

If we could get enough people to list what they have and a sound clip to go with it, this would make a good sticky.

I"m running 2 12 inch exhaust into two delta flow flow masters and all the out the back and it dumps right behine the rear tires. sounds good gets lots of attention but isnt super loud in the car

@joey_schel and jrm81bu

WOW!! Both setups sound baaaad aaassss! That's what Im after. Im thinking you guys have more of a crackling because of the cam? Please excuse my ignorance. New to all this. Ive always had a shop do the work. Just recently started doin things myself. It droned because I had the mufflers right after the headers at first when I had the aluminum setup. The mufflers were right under my seats. It smoothed out big time when I had the SS setup installed with the X pipe and mufflers moved back Thats how its ran in that video. The slight droning should quit when I add the turn downs or run the exhaust out behind each wheel...

Bumpin1ohmSS said:
@joey_schel and jrm81bu

WOW!! Both setups sound baaaad aaassss! That's what Im after. Im thinking you guys have more of a crackling because of the cam?

My cam and compression (bout 11:1) would change that.. I noticed a BIG difference in how loud my exhaust was from my somewhat mild 350 w/ about 9.8:1 comp compared to 11:1 with the cammed 406

Whats your engine and cam specs?

Bumpin1ohmSS said:
@joey_schel and jrm81bu

WOW!! Both setups sound baaaad aaassss! That's what Im after. Im thinking you guys have more of a crackling because of the cam?

Thanks! Yep, mostly in the cam. Long duration and tighter lobe seperation angles will make it sound meaner. Although i'm running a wide lobe seperation angle, I still have a fair amount of duration.

I've petty much decided on the Borla Pro XS with a Pypes 2.5" X-pipe when I get to that point. I don't have a sound clip yet but I'll try and get one when I get it done. Judging on the one's I've heard on Youtube, they sound good. Fairly quiet at idle and cruise, but open up nicely at WOT. Look to your right, you see that engine pic there? That's the current condition of my engine ...

[quote="jrm81buIf we could get enough people to list what they have and a sound clip to go with it, this would make a good sticky.[/quote]

I think I posted mine somewhere else but here it is again.

455 with 2" primary/3.5" collector headers, 3" exhaust with X-pipe, Spintech Pro Street mufflers and turn downs before the axle.

Here's one of the 455 years ago when it was a basic street build. Had W/Z manifolds, 3" exhaust, H-pipe and Dynomax Ultra-flo welded race mufflers:

[quote="Bumpin1ohmSS]Im thinking you guys have more of a crackling because of the cam?[/quote]

It all has to do with cam duration and compression. You can tell from the two videos of my car above.

The second video was a pretty stockish 455. Camshaft was an Edelbrock generic 214/224 @ .050, .472"/.496" lift, 112LS. Compression was right around 9.6:1.

The first video has the same 455 only worked over now. Crane Cams hydraulic roller with 242/254 duration @ .050, .595"/.595" lift, 114LS. Compression is right at 11.3:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor