What muffler would you recommend?

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
1987 Monte Carlo LS 4.3 v6 stock exhaust.

My current exhaust has a hole in the top of the pipe where it goes over the axle. Looking to possible replace from the cat back. I am not looking for performance gains or to spend big money, The stock one was ok. I was looking to use stock pipes for it but possibly a muffler that would have a little rumble at idle and low speed but when at speed was quite. This is a cruiser not a performance car.

What muffler would you recommend for this set up?

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Inside of my (starts with an F that everybody uses) after 3 years of very little use. Car has dual CATs which contributes to a lot of water in the pipes! They don't have drain holes. Drilled a small weep hole on the new ones and they drain the water. You can see the hole at the weld by the uncut clamp rod. Went cheapo. Got these at the Am.....on-line. They have a deep sound (I'm running a stock ZZ4 with long tubes and CAT.

Floshine Universal Stainless Muffler,2.5 inch inlet/2.5 inch outlet,Straight-Through Performance Muffler Exhaust FH1236 They have beautiful circumference welds and a polished finish.​

Attachments

• IMG_20220127_135825598.jpg
    IMG_20220127_135825598.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Innstallation Details (3).jpg
    Innstallation Details (3).jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I like the Thrush Rattlers; they run about $45

Deep throaty and then they smooth out.

Then the Turbo muffler, quieter not as throaty. Runs about same price.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230516-152605.png
    Screenshot_20230516-152605.png
    525.3 KB · Views: 59

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
1987 Monte Carlo LS 4.3 v6 stock exhaust.

My current exhaust has a hole in the top of the pipe where it goes over the axle. Looking to possible replace from the cat back. I am not looking for performance gains or to spend big money, The stock one was ok. I was looking to use stock pipes for it but possibly a muffler that would have a little rumble at idle and low speed but when at speed was quite. This is a cruiser not a performance car.

What muffler would you recommend for this set up?

Flowmaster Super 44.Both of my Monte Carlo's started life as 4.3 cars. I know them well. I think the Flowmaster gives that engine it's best chance to sound good. The Super 40 is great also.

Here's a couple of clips of expected sounds.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor