What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
dogshit said:
Your single biggest acceleration improvement & bang for buck will come from a rear end/gear swap. Other than that I would just get an old school performance oriented shop/mechanic to put in an advance curve kit and give it what timing you can, to get it peppy. You will pick up some noticeable power here but mostly you gain responsiveness. It will/can feel eager not sluggish and pull stronger longer without falling on its face. (Unless your Q-jet is in need of a rebuild) Last I would add a cheap Summit or Jegs brand cat back exhaust system mostly for a nice low v8 rumble. Beyond that keep your money for something else.

You both should have a 200-4R if its factory original. You both have 15" wheels. A stock 307 won't accelerate any quicker in the 1/4 mile if you run it past about 4,100 rpms in 3rd gear. So a 3.73 is about the best gear even for its relatively poor power mostly because it doesn't make any more power beyond that with the stock heads & cam.

With stock 26" tall tires a 3.73 will turn 68 mph in overdrive at 2,200 rpms.
With 28" (275/60/15) a 3.73 will turn 73 mph in overdrive at 2,200 rpms.

I had an 88 307 with 2.56s. When I changed to a 3.73 it got a lot quicker and would burn tires at a stoplight easily. Mileage in town got better but fell on the interstate. Overall mileage stayed about the same for me.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/calcmph.php

Any 3.42, 3.55 or 3.73 would be a good choice with little difference between them but a noticeable jump coming from 2.56s or taller. (lower numerically)

Stock dist is computer controlled, would need a custom PROM with a hot spark curve. Still can try bumping up the base timing? It works well for SBC 305s, not sure about SBO 307s?

Omnivium

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2013
Long Island, NY
dogshit said:
Your single biggest acceleration improvement & bang for buck will come from a rear end/gear swap. Other than that I would just get an old school performance oriented shop/mechanic to put in an advance curve kit and give it what timing you can, to get it peppy. You will pick up some noticeable power here but mostly you gain responsiveness. It will/can feel eager not sluggish and pull stronger longer without falling on its face. (Unless your Q-jet is in need of a rebuild) Last I would add a cheap Summit or Jegs brand cat back exhaust system mostly for a nice low v8 rumble. Beyond that keep your money for something else.

You both should have a 200-4R if its factory original. You both have 15" wheels. A stock 307 won't accelerate any quicker in the 1/4 mile if you run it past about 4,100 rpms in 3rd gear. So a 3.73 is about the best gear even for its relatively poor power mostly because it doesn't make any more power beyond that with the stock heads & cam.

With stock 26" tall tires a 3.73 will turn 68 mph in overdrive at 2,200 rpms.
With 28" (275/60/15) a 3.73 will turn 73 mph in overdrive at 2,200 rpms.

I had an 88 307 with 2.56s. When I changed to a 3.73 it got a lot quicker and would burn tires at a stoplight easily. Mileage in town got better but fell on the interstate. Overall mileage stayed about the same for me.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/calcmph.php

Any 3.42, 3.55 or 3.73 would be a good choice with little difference between them but a noticeable jump coming from 2.56s or taller. (lower numerically)
Wait so I can just change my gears instead of like the whole rear end? Haha sorry I'm a noob

UgotBronx

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2012
NY
It made all the difference in the world! I was a hazard to others when trying to get on the highway before i change out the rears. It was the very first thing I did when I bought the car..I never had an issue at those speeds.

88cscb said:
UgotBronx said:
I wanted to keep the OG 307 in mine and I did all of what has been suggested here. Dual exhaust & headers, 373 gears, QJET rebuilt once then i put on the edelbrock 600. The most noticeable upgrade was the rear and the exhaust. rear still going strong but the headers and exhausted lasted just about 5 years so if that works for you then invest the $$. GOOD LUCK!

When you went 373's in the rear, how does she run on the highway at 70-75mph. I have 256's in the rear and its dog slow off the line., looking to go. Either 3.42' 3.55 or 3,73. But concerned about it spooling 3000 rpm on the freeway. I have a 4 speed 200r4

UgotBronx

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2012
NY
Awesome recap there dogshit! Yes you are right on all accounts.. I did advance the distributor for a little more snap. :banana:

And yes Omnivuim you can just change the guts/ gears Did the same in my camaro too

Omnivium

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2013
Long Island, NY
UgotBronx said:
Awesome recap there dogshit! Yes you are right on all accounts.. I did advance the distributor for a little more snap. :banana:

And yes Omnivuim you can just change the guts/ gears Did the same in my camaro too

Oh wow didn't know that! Learn something new everyday lol. Is it a major job? What gears would I be looking at to get? 3.73?

Omnivium

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2013
Long Island, NY
horners85regal said:
i actually went to the scrap yard and got my 3:73 gears out of an s10 and a posi carrier out of a monte ss, total cost was 75 bucks.
What exactly is a posi carrier?

horners85regal

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2011
Trenton Ontario Canada
when you pull your diff cover off the piece in the center with the gears in it and the ring gear around it. thats what you would change out to make both your rear wheels go instead of the one wheel peel. i figured if im pulling the stock carrier out to change my rear gear ratio then may as well find a posi unit for it too ! :D

Omnivium

Apprentice
Jan 9, 2013
Long Island, NY
horners85regal said:
when you pull your diff cover off the piece in the center with the gears in it and the ring gear around it. thats what you would change out to make both your rear wheels go instead of the one wheel peel. i figured if im pulling the stock carrier out to change my rear gear ratio then may as well find a posi unit for it too ! :D
So if I change gears I should do that too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor