What should I u-pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2007
I live near a somewhat giant u-pull-it yard and have a g-body project that I'm working with. I'm looking for suggestions on what to steal from dead cars for my 80 el Camino. I've got to go today to pull a temp radiator & mount as the mount was the only thing that had lots of rust on it.

I've heard of pulling a modine aluminum radiator and that I can pull F-Body control arms (though I was looking at getting a full suspension kit through justsuspension or someone). What rear should I yank? Electric fan? I got spare time atm, so suggest away...

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Every time I go I look for:

- Hydro boost brake booster ( from Diesel G-Body cars )
- 8.5 Posi from a GN or Old 442
- complete sets of trim ( must be in good shape )
- Console Lids & Bucket Seats in good shape
- Keep an eye out for an uncracked dash

I always prefer a fresh road-kill wreck over a junk car. The junk cars are 90% worn out; rusted and rotton but the fresh roadkill on a car of this "vintage" is normally someones baby which has always been garaged and otherwise well taken care of. Normally those are the " parts-cars" that you want to get.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i always watch for

tpi off f bodies
aluminum core supports
1LE brakes off f bodies
g body bucket seats
" councils
" floor shift columns
i watch for dual exhaust systems
caprice/roadmasters with LT1 engines
rust free doors and at this point hoods and fenders for regal/cutty
v8 chevy g bodies with fan shrouds

just off of the top of my head

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
Olds/buick/pontiac engines... ive seen a 455 Buick in a derelict Cutlass...but i was too late :oops: someone snagged it before me :(

Th350 transmissions...Earlier the better... diesel Olds 350 in any car...they make a wicked foundation for a high compression gas race engine.

spider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2007
Hrm, had no idea about alum core supports.... and I was actually looking for a replacement core support!. Where do I find more info on this?

There were 30 gbody's in this yard, and I only went to the tiny lot, not the the giant one across the river.
[edit] Ok, found/swiped a list from another forum:
78-80 Regal-Century
78-80 Cutlass
78-80 Grand Prix-Lemans

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
they are shaped a little different and have a A stamped on most of theem on the top passenger side of the support. i have heard some are not stamped but not sure. some people use magnets to test them. they are pretty rare though

fryer1979

Apprentice
Oct 10, 2007
The Sticks, Ca.
Yes, always a posi rear is a great thing to find, also try other el caminos as well. The hydroboost is something even I haven't thought to find before, but a worthwhile venture. Whenever I go to junkyards I like to find any type of trim (both interior or exterior), that I can in good shape. Also an extra set of window cranks and the mechanical assemblies for the door latch parts. I personally have a couple spare hoods for all of my cars, they are great paint practice, and also give me a chance to try open hole solutions for clearance issues. I'm a nut, but junkyarding happens to be one of my favorite past-times. Have a blast, and collect as much stuff as possible that may not be able to be found in the aftermarket.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i just found a lt1 in a 94 caprice i am about to go pull, they said $135 with a core which will be a 3.8 i have laying on the side of my house. also found a solution to my exhuast problems, when i put the my regal engine into the cutlass i just put a manifold back exhaust but it made it impossible to use the oil dip stick and the rear passenger side manifold bolt was in the wrong place so i had a small exhaust tick that drove me nuts. anyways i found a grand prix with a 350 that had these adapters that made it so it bolted to the existing rear hole on the head and then had a threaded hole so that i could bolt my manifold to it and the other side alows clearance for my dipstick. i have never seen or heard of these but thatnk god i found them!! they just saved mee a huge headache!

spider

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2007
I did notice an unbroken 79 or 80 el Camino grill in there, I should probably nab that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor