What size battery are you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
I use a 1000 cranking amp battery with a 94 amp alternator.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
76DT Motomaster Eliminator from Crappy Tire in the wagon - works mint with all the electronics and doodads.

yennchi45

Apprentice
Nov 12, 2014
South Carolina
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what type of accessories you running?

you can have a huge battery but if your alternator is not rated high enough it will not charge the battery sufficiently as the battery runs the accessories that pull more than your alternator can handle

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Most generic one I can get from the farm and home supply store. Group 75 I think side post since its cleaner and the 1/4 bolt side posts have less corrosion problems than the top post I have found. Batteries never fail at the right time and the last thing I want to do is rely on an 8-5 M-F store like interstate or find some place that ships optimas.

I end up leaving doors open or keys on my project cars trouble shooting something and it kills batteries. AGM's get finicky charging and i've got a cheapo manual set charger.

I might try an AGM on a daily driver year around car if I planned to own it for over 7 years where a normal lead acid cell one might fail, or maybe a braile or something light if I had a car where every pound counts, or maybe something off road that tilts a lot, but it's mostly in the alternator for a car with high amp load in my experience. An AGM would be helpful if you had a 14.5:1 compression 500 cube engine but past that I have a hard justification. Proper wiring and alternator has a bigger effect.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Most generic one I can get from the farm and home supply store. Group 75 I think side post since its cleaner and the 1/4 bolt side posts have less corrosion problems than the top post I have found. Batteries never fail at the right time and the last thing I want to do is rely on an 8-5 M-F store like interstate or find some place that ships optimas.

I end up leaving doors open or keys on my project cars trouble shooting something and it kills batteries. AGM's get finicky charging and i've got a cheapo manual set charger.

I might try an AGM on a daily driver year around car if I planned to own it for over 7 years where a normal lead acid cell one might fail, or maybe a braile or something light if I had a car where every pound counts, or maybe something off road that tilts a lot, but it's mostly in the alternator for a car with high amp load in my experience. An AGM would be helpful if you had a 14.5:1 compression 500 cube engine but past that I have a hard justification. Proper wiring and alternator has a bigger effect.

the only place I have LED is for the interior lites but not for the gauges. I can leave my door and trunk open all day without draining the battery. I have a Cteck 7002 charger which was almost the cost of the battery but I got mine from a client who I work for when a issue comes up so we bartered. I'm sure they have other less expensive AGM chargers now but you are stuck uising a conenction chargers you can charge it by changing a wet cell battery and attach the Optinum to that battery while the wet cell battery is being charged and the AGM will fully charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor