What size gear to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Well Dogshit,
We all got your post.....but you didn't estimate anything????

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I'm going to venture a guess that you will have major traction issues off the line, not a flame, just an opinion.

Next on the bottle, just for me, leave once in second gear not first and report your results.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
One advantage of a 9" is it's a quick job to switch out rear end gears. Why not have a couple of different set ups to try out...another think you might want to think about is adding about a quart of transmission fluid when your making your runs so there's fluid for the pump when heading down the track

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Sorry worked 12.5 hour shift. Hmnn ok for the purpose of example lets say his car weights 3,700lbs with driver. I used some of the calculators on the Wallce racing site. It said 500 crank or 450 wheel horsepower could take a 3,700 car to 118 mph in the 1/4 mile. Mild build power from spray I am going to guess max HP at 6,200 rpms. He can weigh his car, dyno it, or use numbers from another exact build or computer simulate to find out at what power & at what rpm max HP occurs but just using what numbers he did supply and some guesstamates for example purposes. So 300 rpms past peak HP would be 6,500 rpms as an ideal place to be going through the lights.

The next calculator said with a 26.0 tire and a 4.30 gear would go through the lights at 117 mph in 1 to 1 or in this case 3rd gear. So if those were his numbers a 4.30 or close give or take should give him the best quarter mile. That is only looking at the gear. The effective use of first and the converter is a whole nother issue.

JBreu I am not trying to be a know it all etc I am no guru or died in the wool drag racer just passing along tools to make a good calculated decision instead of a dart in the dark. Not to fault anyones guesses or experience just trying to provide a more concrete calculated reason for a gear choice. I did this with my build as well as others before me which is why they provide the calculators. It turned out well for me and I am confident it will work well for others eh providing they put in real numbers.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Dogshit,
Duly noted G-Body friend.....I by all means wasn't calling you out....as a matter of fact, I was thinking bout PM ing you to ask what your opinion was for me as well.......... :)

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
'The effective use of first and the converter is a whole nother issue.'

A major point that most don't account for. :doh:

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Dmax, With just a minor frame notch (rear frame wheel wells) and minor rolling of the inner lip (like with ball bat over your tire) as well as proper backspacing you can run a 295/65/15 (29") drag radial. Some gbodys especially with passengers in the back seat may also require air bags in the back springs. You would probably do this anyway to pre-load the suspension for best traction. Usually like 3 or 5 psi in the drivers side and 12 to 15 psi in the passenger which is probably only 1/4" lift and almost no noticeable change in ride except when you start to load your car with weight. Oh yea to look right with that tall back tire you need a fairly tall tire in the front. I would suggest a 225/70/15. This is a killer setup for the street as you should have more traction than anybody else now if you just have the power & gear to take advantage of it. Short of a dedicated drag car with slicks which you should not see on the street or possibly an awd.

Not sure whether Shotgun was referring to Dmax or Jbreu but its probably true in eithers case as they both have good torque from spray and the low first of the 200-4R or the stroker and ultra low first gear of the 700-R4. Both could possibly have benefited from having their trans built with a taller first gear. Having a suspension tweaked that "works" for their car and the best tire they can get under it will probably help both considerably.

Dmax Cody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks for the help guys. The new nine inch is in. 4.11 gears, detroit locker,35 spline mosers and disc brakes. Looks sweet. Id post some pics if i could figure out how to put them on here. :shock: For the street now im running a set of 275/60/15 rears with drag skinnys in the front on a set of centerline wheels. Those are already some big meats but will try stuffing some 29 under there for the strip. Now just gotta get that killer motor off the stand and in that engine bay.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
[quoteNot sure whether Shotgun was referring to Dmax or Jbreu but its probably true in eithers case as they both have good torque from spray and the low first of the 200-4R or the stroker and ultra low first gear of the 700-R4. Both could possibly have benefited from having their trans built with a taller first gear. ][/quote]

You got it right.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
When you get that motor in her and you go down the 1320....POst your numbers..I am curious as to what that setup will grab.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor